Eaton’s Power Components Division is currently seeking a Controls and Automation Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Horseheads, NY facility. Relocation assistance is available.
The Controls and Automation Engineer manages the programming, troubleshooting, and electrical maintenance of the plant’s automated equipment, including making any programming updates, backups, or changes needed to support the business. Works in conjunction with the Engineering and Continuous Improvement team to design, spec, and procure automated equipment and automation solutions for the plant.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Assist in the coordination of the plant maintenance and engineering work force in keeping the Horseheads Plant buildings, grounds, equipment and machines in a safe and productive condition.
- Proactively identify performance improvement opportunities and capitalize on these opportunities with the implementation of improved manufacturing processes and technologies. Provide project management, coordination and manufacturing engineering expertise for select growth platforms.
- Provides technical guidance in the maintenance and repair of the plant equipment, machines, building and grounds. Stays up to date with “state of the art” equipment and maintenance techniques, includes energy management processes. Recommend replacement equipment.
- Formulate technical proposals on development of new designs and/or advanced manufacturing processes, directed by and within the limits of plant objectives and long-range goals. Present proposals to management and include basic design theory, cost estimates, feasibility studies and other pertinent data.
- Hold responsibility for all maintenance, repair, upgrade, and troubleshooting of plant automated controls systems, to include training and instruction of the hourly workforce in the operation and maintenance of said equipment.
- Provide technical leadership with full realization of its commercial implication and assume coordination responsibilities for assigned engineering projects or programs. Initiate solutions to program or project engineering and research problems of unusual magnitude and scope which generally include aspects of more than one technological area.
- Actively participate in brainstorming sessions and cross-departmental meetings to ensure collaborating and cohesion when making changes in the facility. Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special service. Actively seek out various educational and training opportunities to keep current and demonstrate continuous growth. Support all EHS functions, including MESH and ISO14001.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Controls Engineering from an accredited institution required.
- Minimum 2 years of engineering experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with project and contract management.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Experience with automated manufacturing, CNC and robotics operations including: (G,M-code, Ladder/Control Logics, PLC, SCADA, HMI) is preferred.
- Experience with CAD using both 2D and 3D (i.e. Inventor, Pro-E, etc.) is desirable.
- Experience with facilities infrastructure management.
- Proficient with Windows OS and Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of machining operations including CNC Mills and Lathes is desirable.
- Able to gather and analyze information, to quickly identify and resolve problems.
- Able to develop alternative solutions and work well in a group problem solving situation
- Must have excellent communication, planning, negotiation and organizational skills and the ability to independently prioritize workload.
- Effective interpersonal communications with proven ability to lead, critical thinking, acts strategically, build organizational capability while achieving results.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD PCD Power Components Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time