Eaton’s Fluid Electrical Distribution division, a part of our Aerospace group, is currently seeking a Lead Design Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Camarillo, CA office.
The candidate for the role will be responsible for conceptual and detail design of new products/projects, related to Non-Explosive Actuators (NEA) and our connector product lines. The products will hold down and release payloads for space launch and munitions systems.
You will Implement design improvements (cost reduction, functional enhancement, product customization) to existing products and manage design history folders, Product Lifecycle Management system (ENOVIA) for the NEA product line including issuing Engineering Change Orders.
The incumbent will lead proposal activities for new opportunities, and executing from concept through validation, and verification to production. You will also provide sustaining engineering support on existing space launch and munitions products, including repairs, quality and damage assessments, and product modifications.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Conduct and/or participates in design reviews, innovation summits, and design bursts
- Provide technical support to customers, suppliers, and sales team
- Plan and specifies product design requirements, as well as detailed validation and verification plans
- Participate and/or witnesses testing of products
- Coordinate the prototype manufacturing of products.
- You will conduct failure analysis examinations and prepare Failure Analysis Reports (FAR) of findings.
- Represent Engineering in MRB and WRB activities
- Support product transition activities, including transfer of design authority
- Develop products using 3D CAD with SolidWorks
- Coordinate testing activities with Engineering and Production test teams
- Work with Sales and Marketing to develop new products based on inputs from Strategic Plan
- Prepare/review documents including cost estimates (NRE), appropriation requests, project schedules, design and instruction specifications, operating manuals, and technical reports
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Eaton will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanisms, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum 5 years of mechanical product design experience
- No relocation benefit is being offered. Candidates must reside in a 50-mile radius of Camarillo, CA. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without company sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee
- Master’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Experience in the design and development of aerospace hold down release mechanisms
- Experience with PLM systems, i.e. ENOVIA or MatrixOne
- Experience with MRP systems, i.e. SAP
- Experience using Solidworks
- Experience with stress analysis, including finite element modeling
- Experience with Design for Six Sigma
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good analytical skills and strong business acumen to understand consequences of decisions
- Strong communication and presentation skills – both verbal and written
- Awareness of international cultures
- Ability to work in a matrix environment, get results and drive change through others.
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage by influence through solid relationships and process focus
- Ability to effectively present results and recommendations to senior-level executive team.
- Leverage expertise from other Eaton divisions to continuously improve design standards.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER FED Fluid Electrical Distribution
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time