Eaton Aerospace Group has an opening for VP Engineering - Chief Technology Officer (CTO). This position will develop and implement the Business Group technology strategy and provide overall direction and guidance for all engineering and technology enhancement initiatives within the Business Group globally. This role will have overall responsibility for driving engineering and innovation processes and the development of new products, services, systems, and solutions that involve a wide range of technologies. This position will have oversight for multiple technology platforms, as well as the quality and health of the engineering leadership pipeline and processes within the core engineering functions and disciplines. The Vice President of Engineering will also serve as a key member of the Business Group management team and will oversee the global engineering activities to ensure that technology productivity, growth and financial improvement objectives are met. This individual will be a critical champion in driving organic growth for the company and will also be responsible for continued deployment of the Eaton Business Systems (EBS) engineering tools across the engineering population of the Business Group.
The specific functions of this position include the following:
- Work closely with the group president, the vice presidents, general managers, the sector functional leader, and key technologists to create and gain coalescence behind a robust and actionable global innovation strategy and roadmap
- Support the group president and sector functional leader in the communication of the Group’s technology strategy at the group senior leadership team level
- Identify and foster key alliances with academic institutions, outside independent and national labs, partner companies and suppliers in order to enhance the advanced technology thinking and capabilities of the business
- Integrate, align and focus the company’s footprint of global design centers with particular focus on achieving enhanced design/ development capabilities in key domains for the Groups
- Build, strengthen and provide leadership to the talent base within the aerospace engineering organization, creating opportunities for growth and development of the engineering teamAssure appropriate product documentation, design standards, and related material specifications are developed
- Assure that product designs are competitive on a global basis with respect to quality reliability and cost ensuring that synergies are identified across the operations of the Business Group
- Work closely with the Vice President of Business Group Operations to ensure that products are designed for manufacturability using leading tools and processes such as Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)
- Lead as a key executive contributor to the management of advanced technology development capabilities for the group and work to strengthen the linkage between engineering design centers, Innovation Center, the engineering organization at large, product management and marketing functions
- Assure that efforts to improve the efficiency of the Engineering functions are emphasized through creative organizational management, effective use of engineering tools, appropriate training and continuous improvement.
- Take an active role in identifying key engineering processes and implement operating standards that drive consistency and organizational improvements across the Business Group.
- Assure that proprietary rights and product liability concerns of the Business Group are addressed by interacting with applicable legal staff members
- Maintain close liaison with customers for application reviews, developing new product requirements, and major modifications of existing products, prototype qualification test requirements and to resolve product performance deficiencies.
- Inspire and empower a global team of highly professional and technical engineering organizations to engagement, empowerment and effective collaboration in a matrixed structure
- Product support, future product development and technical support for customers are addressed.
- Work with corporate and Industrial Sector level Centers of Excellences for a seamless product development & execution process.
- Lead a global team of highly professional and technical engineering organizations to assure that current product support, future product development and technical support for customers are addressed.
- Assure that product designs are competitive on a global basis with respect to quality, reliability and cost.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required in an Engineering field of study
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in an engineering leadership role for a global company or division with minimum of approximately $1 billion in revenues
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Must be a U.S. person within the meaning of ITAR –OR- capable of obtaining any visa and export authorizations required to perform this role. (ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylum, or Refugee.)
A strong leader with a demonstrated track record of articulating and communicating a vision of technology uses and enhancements in a pragmatic manner.
Proven ability to stimulate technology development, process improvement and new product development as well as execution.
- Proven ability to inspire and engage a global team of highly professional and technical engineering organizations to greater levels of collaboration, development and performance
A demonstrated capability to lead across a multi-divisional large-scale business, securing the commitment and alignment of differing parts of his/her organization through the use of influence and indirect authority.
Experience and success with operating in and engaging a large and global organization.
Drive, intelligence, and high expectations of self and team.
Considerable experience with complex solutions using software, sensors, electronics and controls.
Demonstrated capability to develop processes and technology platforms to be driven across a diversified group of business segments.
A track record of demonstrated success in influencing technology and business leaders with respect to a longer-term technology vision, and the appropriate agenda and plans for implementation. This executive will be a business-driven technology leader who has a successful background in program execution and does not get enmeshed in the nuances of fundamental research.
Personal characteristics that illustrate strong leadership presence, excellent communication skills, strong influencing and negotiation capabilities, and strength of character and conviction to advocate a strong position in taking intelligent risks. The successful candidate will have a consensus-driven style and will value the creation of collaborative relationships. He/she will have had experience in a highly matrixed innovation-driven business.
Experience managing a highly talented technology team, which includes well-regarded technical talent, across a broad international footprint.
Demonstrated experience in building organizational technology capabilities through talent acquisition, training and development, and a motivated leadership style thereby leading to increasing levels of performance.
Minimum of 15 years of engineering design, development and commercialization within Industrial Manufacturing related product lines
Masters in engineering and/or an advanced business degree (MBA) is preferred
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER Aerospace Group
Job Level: Executive
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time