Eaton’s Commercial & Residential Distribution Solutions division is currently seeking a VAVE Lead Design Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Sumter, SC facility. Relocation assistance will be provided.
The VAVE Lead Design Engineer will develop best-in-class products and features through product research, design, design validation, deployment, and maintenance in accordance with market needs. This role is also responsible for providing technical expertise on switchboard and panelboard products.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Develop, design, validate, and manage the implementation of best-in-class product designs.
- Ability to translate internal and external customer requirements into measurable performance criteria.
- Lead the development of the schedule and budget for value-add/value-engineered projects
- Design, model, and test product prototypes
- Maintain and improve existing products through design and competitive analysis
- Work with other Eaton Electrical businesses as well as outside suppliers to develop new features and design opportunities for products within the product line scope and charter.
- Lead cross-functional teams using the Eaton PROLaunch product development process. Integrate best practices from each functional team to deliver a high quality, best-in-class design.
- Ensure compliance to all applicable national and local electrical codes and standards as they relate to the products we produce (UL, NEC, NEMA, OSPHD).
- Participate in codes and standards organizations as necessary. (UL, NEC, CSA, NEMA, CANENA)
- Represent the product line as a lead technical consultant.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution and a minimum of five (5) years of experience with the design and manufacturing of power distribution products
- OR Master’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution and a minimum of one (1) year of experience with the design and manufacturing of power distribution products
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Design for Six Sigma with examples of practical application
- Product Life-cycle management systems and their structure
- Predictive analysis such as CFD (thermal flow), FEA (stress analysis), and electro-magnetic
- Fabrication methods for sheet metal, plastic, copper, and aluminum
- UL 50, UL 67, and UL 891
- Proper bus joint design
- Low and Medium Voltage product experience
- Working knowledge of regulatory standards for the US that cover low voltage distribution equipment.
- Practical knowledge and experience with 3D CAD tools such as PRO-e or Inventor.
- Investigate and evaluate opportunities for product development and redesign.
- Continually identify technology upgrades and cost reduction opportunities to keep the product line in a competitive position.
- Communication of new designs and product changes to all plants involved with the product line and monitoring of standards among all plants.
- Train production employees, product line engineers, and technicians on new product designs.
- Provide guidance and work with manufacture engineers during development of products and in continual upgrade of existing product. Provide direction to production employees on technical issues.
- Safety responsibilities include safety and housekeeping objectives; follow all safety rules and procedures and report unsafe conditions to line management. Understand and meet all departmental safety objectives and goals.
- Develop, design, test and supervise implementation of new technology and cost improvements to existing products.
- Provide guidance and work with manufacturing during development of products and in continual upgrade of existing product. Provide direction to production employees on technical issues.
- Review drawings and manufacturing information standards developed by product engineers and technicians.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ES CRDS COMM Commercial
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time