Eaton’s eMobility division is currently seeking an Electrical Engineering Specialist to join our team. This position can be based at our Southfield, MI; Galesburg, MI; or Marshall, MI facility. Relocation assistance will be provided.
We make the electric revolution work. Every day, we work to improve people’s lives and the environment by making power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable.
Preparing for the electrified future of mobility takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
Eaton’s eMobility segment is collaborating with companies around the globe to innovate the transportation technologies of the future, creating efficient vehicles that travel faster, farther, higher and safer at a lower overall cost to the consumer and the environment.
In this role, the Electrical Engineering Specialist is responsible for conceptualizing, lead the design, development, testing, technical documentation, and production launch of new products for electric motor drives and associated embedded controls.
You will work with customers, vendors, other groups within Eaton on conceptualizing Electronic Circuits powering hybrid vehicles and EV Vehicles. This requires the understanding of firmware and hardware architectures which are flexible and extensible across a broad scope of products. You will also participate in system-level requirements analysis and cost estimation, design reviews and other team development processes. Success will require keeping abreast of new and emerging technologies, components and materials. Along with utilization of appropriate CAD tools to design and analyze product functionality and integrity in order to facilitate rapid deployment.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Realize product requirements in coordination with the Power Electronics Team, for the design and development new and innovative Traction Inverter products
- Investigate and analyze new materials, components, technologies, applications and their appropriate use within our product lines
- Conduct testing of all new products in accordance with CPD standards and customer requirements
- Provide supervision and support to internal and external design resources when appropriate (e.g. PCB layout, software development, other engineers, test laboratories)
- Review and conduct analyses (FMEA, simulations, modeling, etc.) on new products to ensure their integrity and use the results to optimize designs
- Successfully lead contractors and other resources either co-located or at international locations
- Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with key customers and vendors
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field required from an accredited institution required
- A minimum of 7 years experience with power electronics (AC) or inverters for industrial or aerospace or military drives, battery electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems
- Experience with product design tools: circuit and behavioral simulation (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys, Matlab/Simulink) PCB layout guidance
- Must be able to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future
- Master’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- 15 years’ plus experience Electrical/Electronic hardware - power electronics/inverters for industrial or aerospace or military drives, battery electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems
- Knowledge using DFSS and DFx practices: Manufacturing, Test, Repair, Quality, etc.
- Experience with model-based design methods
- Firmware design
- Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (CAN, CANFD, J1939, Flex Ray) and tools (CANape, CANalyzer, CANopen, etc.)
- Supervising other engineering tasks (assembly drawings, PCB layout, software development, validation testing)
- PCBA and Final Product Testing experience
- Experience overseeing design verification testing
Position Success Criteria:
- Good understanding of vehicle markets and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing required
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly with respect to written and oral communication
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a hands-on laboratory environment with common lab equipment (O-scopes, DMMs, Network and Spectrum analyzers, Dynamometers, mechanics tools, etc.)
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time