Eaton’s Industrial Control Division is currently seeking a Specialist Firmware Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Menomonee Falls, WI location.
Eaton Corporation has an opening for a Firmware Engineer Specialist inside its Industrial Control Division, located in Menomonee Falls, WI. This position will reside in the divisional headquarters building, which houses engineering for multiple product lines as well as marketing, sales, finance, and research. The facility was built in 2012 and boasts an open office layout surrounded by large windows, as well as 50,000+ square feet of onsite state-of-the-art laboratory space, a basketball court, ping-pong, employee lounge, fitness center and grill & patio. Additionally, Eaton encourages employee development and health through tuition and fitness club reimbursement. With eight Eaton facilities, four divisions, and more than 1600 employees located in Southeastern Wisconsin, Eaton’s local footprint enables our employees with diverse and capable laboratories, access to manufacturing, and ample opportunities for development and career growth within the region.
The qualified candidate for the Firmware Engineering Specialist role will participate in the architecture, design, development and testing of embedded firmware for ICD’s next generation of industry leading products. Primary products are related to advanced motor protection, communications, reduced voltage starting and variable frequency drives for industrial applications; leveraging embedded micro-controllers and digital signal processors in a real time operating system environment. The candidate will work within a firmware center of excellence together with other team members driving new product and process development while leveraging modern toolchains.
Primary responsibility is the development and maintenance of firmware architectures and products. Leadership capabilities during the full cycle of product development and product life is also a key factor to success in this position. Responsibilities include leading SDLC (Software Design Life Cycle) process improvement to drive quality and efficiency in the organization, efficient root cause analysis for quality escapes, test development automation, requirement management and customer interaction. Responsibilities also include leading and coordinating with global teams and across functions to meet collective goals. The candidate must possess a mind-set focused on quality, efficiency and innovation combined with embedded firmware experience and leadership capabilities in alignment with Eaton values and competencies.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Establish and document new product requirements by collaborating with marketing, engineering, operations and customers.
- Develop embedded C/C++ firmware for products leveraging single chip micro-controllers or digital signal processors with or without Real Time Operating Systems.
- Support integration of firmware and software and ensure system test coverage in collaboration with global teams for both firmware and test.
- Development of embedded firmware architectures and designs to ensure quality and reliability, optimize performance, minimize cost, enable scalability and re-use
- Lead cybersecurity analysis and implementation within product line
- Drive test automation, continuous integration, code analysis, code reviews and other to ensure quality and functionality during development.
- Develop python test scripts and contribute to the test automation frameworks for our products.
- Guide root cause analysis on quality escapes of product defects in collaboration with global and cross functional teams as well as direct and work with lab personnel to develop tests and perform testing to validate proper product functionality.
- Establish project and product cost estimates and time estimates, identify project risks and develop mitigations plan to meet project goals.
- Maintain firmware KPI tracking and reporting for team
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical/computer/firmware/software engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 8 years experience developing embedded firmware using C/C++. Will consider 6 years of experience developing embedded firmware using C/C++ if candidate possesses a Masters degree.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Menomonee Falls, WI will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Master’s degree in electrical/computer engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience related to the Agile development process
- Knowledge and experience related to CMMI for Development and SDLC
- Knowledge of Industrial Applications and Industrial Communication Protocols
- Knowledge of cybersecurity solutions for industrial products
- Experience developing requirements, test plans and test cases
- Experience with Python, Matlab or C#
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to mentor junior engineers in local and global teams to drive continuous development across the organization
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with other disciplines to ensure project success. Other disciplines include Marketing, Industrialization, Test Engineering, Designers, and Technicians.
- Contribute to technical roadmaps and commercial roadmaps, disclosures and other innovation
- Guide firmware team to drive SDLC (Software Design Life Cycle) process improvements and accountability with a focus on quality and productivity as well as guide global firmware teams to drive functional excellence, accelerate the development cycle while reducing the cost to develop and maintain products.
- Areas of knowledge/experience key to succeed in the role:
- Experience developing functional product requirements as well as detailed design requirements.
- Experience developing firmware architecture for embedded products.
- Knowledge/training related to the fundamentals of micro-processors/controllers.
- Experience developing application code on a variety of single chip processor platforms including DSP’s or ARM core microcontrollers or equivalent.
- Experience and knowledge of embedded real time multi-tasking operating systems.
- Experience leading or executing the firmware portion of product development programs from inception to release for sale.
- Knowledge of advanced engineering practices, processes and related tools. This includes (but is not limited to) requirements management and traceability, bug tracking, version control, test driven development, simulation, and continuous integration.
- Experience with HiL and test automation
- Ability to apply automation to tasks that require them
- Experience with source code management using Bitbucket or Github
- Knowledge of security concepts such as encryption, certificates, and key management
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD ICD Industrial Controls Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time