Eaton Corporation is seeking a Director of Labor Relations. Reporting to the VP-Chief Employment Counsel, this person will be based in our corporate office in Beachwood, OH.
The Director and head of Labor Relations at Eaton is a highly visible role, requiring someone to have a passion for labor relations work, a high degree of collegiality and strong interpersonal skills, an ability to develop constructive relationships with colleagues internally across our manufacturing footprint and with representatives of unions, while pursuing the company’s objectives. This position requires extensive knowledge of labor laws and approaches to take for resolution, daily interaction with production, business affairs, finance, legal, HR and other company executives as well as union and business agents, leading the overall labor relations strategy.
- Work with senior leadership to drive strategic approaches to the function; including global best practice sharing and innovative thought leadership.
- Consult/advise senior management and HR leadership on labor and union issues, maintaining a proactive position on negotiations, collective bargaining agreement terms, policies, agreements, and procedures.
- Develop and implement union awareness programs and appropriate management responses to union campaigns through planning, positive employee relations programs, site vulnerability assessments, legal and policy reviews, as well as education and communications
- Prepare and implement enterprise programs, solutions, and systems to support employee relations policy and strategy
- Act as the company expert and go to resource for current trends in collective bargaining agreements and competitive benefits and work rules.
- Implement industrial labor relations programs to oversee compliance with the union’s negotiated contract.
- Guide management and HR on disciplinary and/or employee grievance issues within the union population.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with existing labor organizations while advocating for the company. Ensures the company is complying with union agreements, including fair labor contract administration
- Monitor employee and union relations at sites to facilitate early issue identification and intervention, as well as to ensure appropriate employee relations practices are maintained to promote positive employee relations
- Identify and address existing or potential labor relations issues in acquisitions and divestitures
- Provide ongoing feedback, training programs and support to managers and the HR function to proactively shape policies, programs and practices for maximum business effectiveness.
- Manage high profile grievance procedures resulting from disputes with unionized employees over the collective bargaining agreement, work rules, and the interpretation of work contracts.
- Monitor compliance with internal, national, federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations
- Advise senior management and manage the response to union organizing.
- 10 years of experience in Labor Relations combining hands on experience with leadership of a department/function.
- Extensive experience with union negotiations, collective bargaining agreement terms and employee relations.
- Legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship
- JD with emphasis in Labor and Employment Law
- An undergraduate degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred
- Eaton recognizes this role as a critical position within the corporation and will create a compelling package consisting of a base salary, employee incentive compensation, including long term incentive and complete benefits.
- This position will be based in our Beachwood, OH location
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Human Resources
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Director
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time