Eaton’s Crouse-Hinds Division is currently seeking a Senior Manufacturing Engineer. This position is based at our Syracuse, NY facility.
As a Senior Manufacturing Engineer, you will own and drive the manufacturing engineering and quality programs for your assigned area. You will be responsible for defining and driving the productivity and quality strategies for your area. You will facilitate efficient operations within the production area, optimizing existing processes, and to ensuring that production goals are met. You will own the project deck for all productivity and improvement projects in your area. This position is accountable to plan, design, develop and implement major plant engineering projects in order to create and maintain efficient and safe utilization of plant facilities to affect the most economical manufacturing cost.
As the electrical industry's global leader for explosion proof and hazardous environments, Eaton’s Crouse-Hinds Business is constantly pushing forward and looking ahead, advancing electrical and instrumentation products in new and innovative ways. Eaton's Crouse-Hinds Business manufactures over 100,000 products for NEC and IEC applications, including: conduit fittings and cable glands, industrial control and electrical apparatus, enclosures, industrial luminaires (including LED), plugs and receptacles, drilling and marine products, commercial construction and solar solutions.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Be responsible for design/approval of all fixtures, tooling, gauging and programs required. Provide technical support to shop floor dealing with job setup and/or tooling problems or part program modifications; determining causes of failures and implemented solutions in order to maximize overall operating efficiencies & reliability.
- Determine alternate processing methods in order to free up manufacturing floor space by offloading manual operated equipment onto CNC lathes and machining centers. Reduce machine cycle times by tooling improvements and manufacturing processing techniques. Determine production improvements where bottleneck areas exist.
- Perform facilities layouts to plan for production efficiency and utilization of space in existing and long-range plant plans. Performed machine layouts and designed for maximum utilization of machines and reduction of material flow on the plant floor. Define specifications for purchase of new equipment.
- Prepare Cost Estimates for new projects and product engineering changes. Maintain an extensive database of Lockout Tag-Out procedures for all required machines and equipment; created new LOTO as requested for new or existing equipment.
- Lead, facilitate and execute projects using the Eaton Business System approach to Lean/Six Sigma (ELSS) principles and processes to deliver results. Identify and prioritize opportunities to improve productivity throughout the facility. Use lean and statistical tools, approaches and techniques to create process management and measurement systems and develop a continuous improvement mindset. Evaluate and recommend best solutions to given problems weighing economic return and compatibility with layout of plant facilities. Investigate and solve problems in manufacturing of products; perform manufacturing methods studies to determine optimum process and methods.
- Partner with and advise development and modification engineers to ensure that new designs incorporate provisions for maximum manufacturing economy. Identify new equipment and manufacturing technologies and make recommendations regarding equipment, plant changes in manufacturing facilities, including material flow and plant design.
- Prepare capital equipment requests, as required. Develop operational procedures and manufacturing routings and production standards. Design tooling and machinery necessary to implement advised processes and methods. Implement cost reduction projects for methods, processes, and materials on present manufactured products. Align local quality efforts with divisional leadership to drive an effective quality assurance and improvement strategy. Adhere to Federal, State and Eaton EH&S standards. Coordinate external facility contract services and ensure contractor compliance with Eaton’s safety policies.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Manufacturing Operations or Engineering in a manufacturing environment.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now and in the future.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of the Syracuse, NY facility will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial, Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Manufacturing Operations or Engineering in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 5 years of continuous improvement experience.
- Experience working with Swiss Machines, Screw Machines, Punch and Progressive Die Machines, Grinding and Sanding Machines.
- Experience working in a union environment.
- Must have extensive knowledge of CNC and manual machining including Lathes, Machining Centers, Drilling Machines.
- Must be results-oriented and be able to drive the necessary activities to get things accomplished.
- Must know how to organize people and activities.
- Must understand how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow.
- Must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Six Sigma and/or Lean manufacturing principles as demonstrated by world-class benchmarks (GE, Motorola, Toyota, etc.).
- Must know what to measure and how to measure it.
- Must see and exploit opportunities for synergy and integration.
- Ability to simplify complex processes.
- Ability to get more out of fewer resources.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton is a power management company with 2016 sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com. At Eaton we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently – if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you – then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information visit www. Eaton.com/careers.
Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CHD EP Americas
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time