Eaton’s Corporate Sector is seeking a Manager-State Tax Controversy. The Manager-State Tax Controversy will be based at our Beachwood, OH facility.
The Manager - State Tax Controversy is a key strategic role within the State and Local Tax (SALT) function at Eaton. In this role, you will be responsible for managing Eaton's state and local income tax controversies, including audits and refunds. You will also provide input and assistance on Eaton's quarterly and annual tax provision processes and assist in reviewing Eaton's US SALT compliance, as well as contribute to the development and implementation of SALT strategic initiatives.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will lead and manage all aspects of state and local income and franchise tax audits and refunds for all Eaton US subsidiaries in all 50 states, including municipalities
- You will manage the working relationships with state taxing authorities to keep issues from escalating, allowing issues to be resolved at the lowest level that is in Eaton's best interest
- You will coordinate responses to state taxing authorities including gathering all documentation and other information requested, and respond in a timely manner in order to facilitate the timely completion of audits while keeping to a minimum the need to sign waivers to extend the applicable statute of limitations
- You will critically assess issues raised by an audit, relative strength of Eaton's positions and recommend preferred resolution of audit, including settlement if applicable, that is the most beneficial to Eaton
- You will coordinate with SALT governance team to reflect state income tax audit results in the proper state tax account balances
- You will serve as SALT liaison to Treasury that monitors Eaton's intercompany debt as well as proposed changes to such debt to ensure proper state tax treatment during the provision, compliance and audit processes
- You will assist in the development of strategic solutions relating to state and local tax within Eaton by proactively monitoring emerging state and local tax legislative changes, including state responses to US tax reform that will impact Eaton's cash taxes and effective tax rate.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of six (6) years of tax experience with a public accounting firm or multinational corporation
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates that currently reside within a 50 mile radius of the Beachwood, OH facility will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA certificate
- Master’s degree in tax or accounting
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Big 4 public accounting experience
- Experience in managing and resolving complex state income tax audits
- Demonstrated understanding of complex tax concepts, ability to perform independent critical analysis and effectively apply tax technical knowledge in a fluid tax environment
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Experience managing people
- Oracle/SAP/Hyperion knowledge
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time