Eaton’s eMobility division is currently seeking a Software Manager – Power Electronics to join our team. This position is based at our Southfield, MI facility.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world
The Software Manager will focus on developing products for electrified and electric vehicles. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of embedded firmware development and analysis for our next generation automotive power electronic products. This role will be responsible for growing the software team, leading the development of detailed software project plans. Our products include but are not limited to traction inverters, on-board chargers, DC converters, and circuit protection devices.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours
- Build and develop a software team to support our next generation product development and project plans for new requests for proposal (RFP) and Requests for Quote (RFQ) from our customers.
- Develop embedded firmware, firmware architecture, and supporting documentation per the product development process
- Utilize a system level approach to developing and managing product firmware requirements
- Collaborate with your software peers in each of our product lines to enable efficient transfer of software and development plans to the production launch teams
- Direct the work of firmware development and system validation engineers located globally
- Prepare project estimates: scope, resources, schedule, risk, cost, dependencies, etc..., in support of the overall project plan
- Develop flexible resource plans with external contract companies as project require
- Develop technical presentations of software/firmware for internal design reviews as well as presentations to our OEM customers
- Own roadmap of future software development for new product applications and developments in software such as application software, cybersecurity, controls, and other related topics
- Develop and debug prototypes utilizing standard lab equipment
- Drive collaboration with the electrical engineering team for architecture layout and tradeoffs
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, or other approved technical degree from an accredited institution required
- Minimum 8 years of embedded firmware design experience
- Direct or indirect management experience is required
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of Southfield, MI. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Experience with full software development lifecycle with a focus on electronics controls, Simulink, and low-level drivers for microcontrollers
- Development of software architecture
- Experience with AUTOSAR and Functional Safety
- Experience with cybersecurity
- Familiar with communication protocols such as: UDS, I2C, SPI, RS232, J1939 CAN, etc
- Familiar with application software such as motor controls, global charging standards (EN, IEC, SAE, GB / GBT)
- Knowledge of software quality tools and concepts
- Experience with inverters, on-board chargers, or dc converters
- Program or project management experience
- Knowledge of microcontrollers and selection criteria
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time