Eaton's European Innovation Center has an opening for a:
Senior Specialist Engineer - Power Conversion
(20min from the center)
About the research and the project:
- Create emerging power conversion & power system solutions based on breakthrough technologies for residential, distribution, industrial, automotive, truck, and aerospace applications.
- Lead and develop technology projects by supporting teams (local and remote resources) and working with external technology resources (Business Divisions, Universities and Customers).
- Designing, developing and testing power electronics platforms and systems for power conversion and distribution applications in hybrid and electric vehicles.
- Collaborate with global product development teams, mechanical, layout, and firmware engineers, from initial conception through each of the design and development phases, with the support of model-based development processes, and utilization of automated testing, verification & validation tools.
- Lead power electronics engineering activities and demonstrate start-finish ownership for the assigned projects and tasks by utilizing our internal project execution processes, including design and technical reviews and presentations.
- Lead design, modeling, simulation and implementation of power electronics, including analog and digital electronics, for power conversion, circuit protection and distribution technologies.
- Evaluate designs to meet requirements factoring in performance, cost, size, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Interface with Business Unit (BU) engineers and Research Labs scientists to drive strong business cases for new commercial applications.
- Lead external partnerships with universities and research organizations to bring new technologies and best practices to Eaton. Lead government funding proposals and execute joint projects.
- Participate and present in various ideation events (Innovation Summit, iDay, Design Burst, etc.).
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, from an accredited university
- Related senior engineering experience in MV/LV (up to 100 kV) power electronics designs and product development
- Experience in low and medium voltage power conversion, circuit protection and power systems engineering, including creating specifications, defining application space, designing technical solution concepts, and building and testing prototypes to validate models/hypotheses and documenting results.
- Expertise in some of the following areas: power converter topologies (e.g. converters, motor drive technology, high-power electronics), solid state and hybrid circuit breakers, electric machines and controls, electrification of transport, energy storage, and grid connected converters; alternative power generation and distribution.
- Experience in modeling power converters and power systems using simulation tools (example: MATLAB/Simulink, PSPICE, Altium Designer, PLECS, PSCAD).
- Proven track record in new technology development
- Experience in Project Management.
- Experience in power electronics electromechanical packaging techniques; understanding of the effects of parasitic capacitance/inductance on circuit performance, familiarity with techniques for the minimization and/or control of parasitic effects, familiarity with voltage creepage and clearance requirements and various insulation and interconnection techniques; familiarity with various power electronic component cooling techniques, etc.
- Experience with real time simulators such as OPAL-RT and/or RTDS
- Team of professionals, opportunity to learn new technologies
- Focus on technology and innovation
- Roomy offices, excellent canteen, table tennis, yoga on site, cycling and sport friendly environment
- Annual bonus, multisport card, office hours flexibility, nursery contribution and other benefits
- Challenging projects in dynamic collaborative team
- Excellent working environment – safety and ethics is really important for us
- Culture & Values - Eaton is more than the products we invent and produce - the way we do business is just as important. At Eaton, our values and culture define who we are - both individually and as an organization - and direct our activities every day
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Team Leader/Supervisor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time