Eaton’s Commercial and Residential Distribution Solutions (CRDS) Division is currently seeking an Operational Excellence (OPEX) Manager to join our team. This position will be based at our Sumter, SC facility. Relocation assistance will be provided.
About Sumter, South Carolina: Conveniently located 40 minutes east of the state capital, Columbia, Sumter is a city with convenient access to rich history, diverse industries and inspiring landscapes. The Eaton facility in Sumter, SC is the product line headquarters for Panelboards and Switchboards and is one of the largest employers in the local community. The facility is home to more than 750 employees and is centrally located among every attraction one may desire in the Southeast, including Myrtle Beach, SC; Charleston, SC; Charlotte, NC; Asheville, NC, and Atlanta, GA.
The OPEX Manager will be responsible for planning, developing, directing and coordinating the site’s Continuous Improvement strategy, which includes deployment, training and mentoring of Eaton Lean System, Operations Assessment (OpA) and Continuous Improvement (CIF) integration. As the leader of continuous improvement, the OPEX Manager will align resources within the Engineering and Continuous Improvement functions/teams to develop and support an environment which fosters compliance, competency development, and continuous improvements in Safety, Product & Process Quality, and Productivity. The OPEX Manager will support all elements of the Eaton Business System and the annual planning cycle.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Manage the OPEX function for the Sumter, SC facility
- Act as the on-site Eaton Lean System / Six Sigma expert, trainer and mentor. Drives the development of future state plans, manufacturing strategies, cross-functional processes, and the establishment of uniform policies and procedures.
- Implement Eaton Lean System (Lean Manufacturing) techniques throughout the plant and division as required.
- Achieve Eaton Lean System assessment results which meet corporate/division goals
- Achieve OpA results which meet or exceed corporate/division goals
- Maintain ISO 9001 registration with zero major findings
- Manage the CIF Management System and facilitate training on the various elements
- Achieve the Plant Capital Spending Plan & Cost Out objectives
- Develop the resources within the OPEX Department via training and professional growth opportunities to prepare them for cross-functional assignments
- Support the achievement of the Key Business Drivers and Key Strategic Initiatives
- Translate Eaton Best Practices into the Sumter Operation as applicable
- Adhere to all safety rules and procedures, including 5S requirements. Additionally, responsible for reporting unsafe conditions to appropriate management or MESH representative. Correct unsafe hazards and conditions. Timely closure of correction actions including inspections and investigations. Meet department MESH goal and attain at least 90% on department monthly MESH audit checklist.
- Foster a process improvement culture with Rapid Improvement Events (RIE’s) and continuous improvement events based on results from the Value Stream Map (VSM) process.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited institution
- A minimum of five (5) years of work experience in a manufacturing or operations environment.
- A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in Lean, Continuous Improvement or Operations of Excellence.
- A minimum of two (2) years managing people or project teams
- Must be authorized to work in The United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- A Master’s degree in Engineering or Business from an accredited institution.
- Lean Six Sigma Certification
- Experience as an OpA Assessor
- Continuous Improvement (CI) Certifications
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Visio, Project)
- Project management, including full comprehension of the ProLaunch Process
- Understanding of Eaton Safety Process (MESH)
- Understanding of Eaton Quality Systems (EQMS)
- Demonstrated comprehension of the Eaton Business System (EBS)
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Operational Excellence
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ES CRDS COMM Commercial
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time