Eaton’s Power Components Division is currently seeking a Product Engineering Specialist-Low Voltage to join our team. This position is based at our Moon Township, PA site.
Lead product design engineering for Eaton’s Low Voltage Industrial Circuit Breaker product lines. Primary focus is to grow the business with new product introduction and serve our customers and plants by ensuring continuing function, performance margin and design robustness of Air Circuit Breaker (ACB) products. Responsibilities include new product development, maintaining third party certifications, compliance with standards & functional requirements, supporting the resolution of production yield and quality issues, performance enhancements to improve existing products, validating changes in design or manufacturing, validating cost reductions (VA/VE), and addressing application issues. The position interfaces with product line marketing and plant manufacturing teams, quality personnel, and customers. The individual will have design leadership responsibility for product families, will master industrial circuit breaker technology, and is expected to develop product line & business expertise. The position entails coordinating and executing new product development and innovation projects of all sizes from inception through validation and production implementation.
The position impacts business growth, customer satisfaction and operating performance. It directly drives product value, performance, cost and quality. It also impacts project schedule, budget, manufacturing yield and speed to market for new products and platform extensions. Project schedule attainment, product performance and reliability, and completeness & accuracy of documentation are critical metrics. Performance is measured based on these factors.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Quantify, analyze and enhance performance margin and drive product robustness. Address third party testing non-conformances, identify and correct root causes, and implement design & specification improvements to prevent nonconformances which disrupt product sales and delivery.
- Drive the use of statistical quality tools to establish performance baselines, identify focus areas for robustness improvement and measure improvement in robustness and performance.
- Develop strategy for component & system level modelling / simulation activities, drive the application of simulation technology, and initiate changes into existing and new component design.
- Lead tolerance and sensitivity analysis on system and components to optimize dimensions and specifications on product drawings.
- Work closely with manufacturing facilities and key processes owners (assembly, welding, calibration, feeders, supply chain, etc.) to understand basic capabilities, and lead the development of manufacturable designs.
- Establish control plans, component & process verification and defining critical-to-quality characteristics and guide the development of production tooling and assembly fixtures to enable error-proof and cost-effective production of circuit breakers.
- Generate and direct test programs and test protocols to determine if design criteria for system, software and hardware are met.
- Specification & requirements development, concept selection, detailed design, product validation test approval, and design documentation approval, and production validation.
- Build prototypes and models where necessary and direct relevant testing in lab facilities. Understand and comply with site specific electrical test lab equipment and procedures, including health, safety and security aspects.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working in mechanical or electromechanical design
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Moon township, PA will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Effective experience with Six-Sigma quality tools. Design for Six Sigma green belt training or certification preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of product design for cost-effective manufacture. Industrial circuit breaker design, requirements and applications, and working knowledge of applicable regulatory standards.
- Computer skills. Experience with Pro/Engineer Creo, and computer-based simulation modeling (static stress, thermal, kinematics/dynamics, tolerance, etc.).
- Master’s degree in related technical fields from an accredited institution
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Engage with the engineering organization to identify and implement improvements in product develop processes, engineering tool & methods, quality of output, speed to market and reduced costs. Build functional excellence in the design team and identify opportunities for collaboration with other functions or external partners to accomplish the project goals.
- Exercise design authority for product families, and project management for development projects in conjunction with the Engineering Manager and Program Managers throughout the product and project lifecycles
- Utilize communication skills to participate in product and technology strategy, clarify business and product requirements, present design reviews, deploy designs and instructions, communicate customer application information and lead product teams.
- Master the technology and methods of circuit breaker design, testing and applications along with the applicable governing regulatory standards (UL, CSA, IEC, NEMA, etc.).
- Develop, study, reconcile and approve product requirements and standards, and lead team-based product conceptual & detailed design, development, validation and documentation of product designs. Lead teams in the use of the PROLaunch stage-gate new product development system.
- Functional leadership and cross-functional teamwork. Written & verbal communication skills. Principles of project management.
- Methodical mechanical and electrical problem solver. Analytical skills.
- Understanding product requirements and performance margin. System, product & component design.
- Laboratory and shop skills.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD PCD Power Components Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time