Eaton’s Electrical Automation Solutions currently seeking an Embedded Software Lead Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Rockville, MD site.
We are looking for a motivated professional with strong skills in embedded software development, a good understanding of software architecture, communication technologies, and good team communication skills. The primary responsibility of the Software Lead Engineer will be participating in all phases of the product development lifecycle (requirements, design, coding, testing and release). Success in this position requires the ability to deliver high quality embedded software features, strong motivation for pursuing project objectives and the ability to learn new system concepts and hardware interfaces.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will participate in all phases of the product development lifecycle (Requirements, Design, Coding, Testing, and Release) following a structured engineering process to ensure quality and reliability.
- You will manage technical aspects of software features through the entire software life cycle
- You will guide the feature portion of the project development plan: estimate work load, establish and maintain project schedules and monitor progress through the project execution phases
- You will search for new ideas and concepts which will improve the product design and embedded software development processes
- You will collaborate with cross functional teams, such as System, Hardware and Lead Software engineers to create product specifications.
- You will design and develop embedded software for RF network communication and applications
About Energy Automation Solutions Division:
The Energy Automation Solutions division (EAS) delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability solutions that includes self-healing grid, communicating sensors, substation automation, system planning, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency in support of grid modernization. The EAS business primarily serves global utility customers and, in some markets, commercial industrial, and renewable energy markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, and its market recognized Yukon and CYME Software Platforms. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in embedded software development using C and C++
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship on an ongoing basis.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates that currently reside within a 50-mile radius of the Rockville, MD site will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Minimum 7 year of experience in embedded software development using C or C++
- Experience with designing and developing software for communication protocols
- Experience of various RTOS and low-power management considerations.
- Experience with low level interfaces to hardware: DMA, SPI, I2C, UARTs and serial flash device.
- Experience with ARM-based microcontrollers.
- Knowledge and experience working with Linux and associated package tools such as Perl/Shell scripts.
- Knowledge and experience with GNU Tool Chain, and/or IAR Embedded Workbench.
- Knowledge of basic concepts of RF and wireless communications.
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Experience with test equipment, i.e. oscilloscope, logic analyzers.
- Provide excellent written and oral communication with emphasis on listening to others needs
- Proven ability to work in fast paced environment while managing competing tasks and demands
- Committed to providing high level of customer service
- Experience working in the electric utility market and/or power system knowledge
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Experience with performing technical leadership of features through entire life cycle
- In-depth knowledge of current wireless technology concepts and their applications.
- Knowledge of FCC, UL, ANSI and other related wireless certification and standards is a plus.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time