Eaton’s eMobility Division is currently seeking a Lead Mechanical Engineer, Power Electronics to join our team. This position will be based at our Southfield, MI facility. Relocation is offered.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world
The Lead Mechanical Engineer will focus on developing products for electrified and electric vehicles. In this role, you will design and develop Automotive and Commercial Electric Vehicle Traction Inverter products, which comply with customer specifications and applicable regulatory standards (SAE, UL, ISO, Automotive OEM, etc.).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Lead detailed mechanical part and integration assembly design of high power electronics and PCBA utilizing 3D CAD in design for assembly and design for test
- Create simulation models to predict structural, fatigue, vibration, thermal, and CFD performance of new products in development
- Responsible for electronics packaging in electrical isolation, sealing, thermal management, interconnection, NVH (noise, vibration & harshness) management, and EMI (electromagnetic interference)
- Prepare for and participates in formal and informal design review activities
- Work closely with cross-functional team members in planning and executing project based activities
- Communicate project progress to project management and manage project risk appropriately
- Develop product test plans and work closely with technicians or outside lab resources to implement and review testing activities
- Interface with and provide technical support for customers, plant, quality, and supplier personnel
- Operate and design within industry standards (SAE, ISO, MIL, & ISO TS16949)
- Work with and manage engineering team members in China and India to execute new product designs
- Integrate Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerance (GD&T), Design For Six Sigma tools and approaches, engineering simulation & modeling software, and phase-gate development processes for new products in development.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we- as individuals and as a company – are stronger.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in new product development
- Minimum 1 year of experience with power electronics.
- Minimum 1 year experience in computer simulation and modeling software (CFD, stress, thermal, dynamics, tolerance, etc.) as well as 3D CAD / solid modeling software
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Automotive background with a Tier 1 supplier.
- Experience in SolidWorks is preferred, design experience in CAD required
- Administer mechanical and electromechanical principles to identify and understand issues, and to generate design solutions for various product development challenges.
- Working experience in the design of injection molded engineering plastics
- Working experience in the design of diecast aluminum parts
- Working experience in the design of stamped metal parts
- Background in TS 16949 quality systems
- Ability to generate tests and test plans to sufficiently validate product designs required
- Experience managing test technicians a plus
- Project management knowledge and experience a plus
- Experience working knowledge of various commodities, cost drivers, and manufacturing techniques
- Individual must be capable of writing technical documents such as UL procedures, test reports, and patent disclosures
- Must be team oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills and effective communication.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – Canada
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time