Eaton’s eMobility Division is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineering Manager, Power Distribution to join our team. This position is based at our Tualatin, OR or Southfield, MI facility. Relocation is provided.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all of our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
The Mechanical Engineering Manager will join the New Product Introduction team. This position takes ownership of a global mechanical engineering team responsible for xEV power management, distribution, and protection product solutions.
In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of mechanical design and analysis linked to High Voltage Power Distribution and Protection development. Topics include reviewing and approving models and drawings, castings, injection molded parts, electronics packaging, as well as modeling analysis (FEA, thermal, vibration, pressure etc.).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Have a broad range of experiences designing high voltage and high volume electronics including experience on mechanical and electrical interactions like EMI/EMC considerations, creepage and clearance principles, thermal cycling of conductors etc.
- Interact with other engineering teams as well as supply chain to identify and select strategic suppliers and components such as connectors, busbars, cast housings, injection mold plastics, housing sealing solutions, etc.
- Responsible for reliability and durability of electronics and field issue resolution along with customer interfacing.
- Understand DFMEA, safety and DfM.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar from an accredited university.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in new product development
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at automotive OEM or Tier I supplier
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing in an automotive environment
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in electronics packaging
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Management, or equivalent
- Experience leading AIAG DFMEA process
- Experience with and proven ability lead DfM activities
- Working knowledge, proficiency, and the ability to coach mechanical simulation and modeling software (CFD, stress, thermal, dynamics, tolerance, etc.) as well as 3D CAD / solid modeling software
- Experience in SolidWorks is preferred, design experience in CAD required
- Administer mechanical and electromechanical principles to identify and understand issues, and to generate design solutions for various product development challenges
- Working experience in the design of injection molded engineering plastics, cast aluminum, stamped metal parts
- Ability to generate tests and test plans to sufficiently validate product designs for the automotive industry required
- Project management knowledge and experience a plus
- Experience working knowledge of various commodities, cost drivers, and manufacturing techniques
- Individual must be capable of writing technical documents such as UL procedures, test reports, and patent disclosures
- Working knowledge and ability to implement GD&T practices
- Must be team oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills and effective communication, and the ability to work with a global team
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time