Eaton’s Corporate Research Technology Group is currently seeking a Lead Research Engineer to be part of our Eden Prairie MN team. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Corporate Research & Technology - focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
The Machine System Technologies team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of power system management and optimization for electro-mechanical/ electro-hydraulic systems, and drive controls, including both stationary and mobile machines.
The Lead Research Engineer is expected to serve as a technical and/or project lead on projects within the Machine System Technologies team. They are responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all efforts under their control. They are expected to contribute to technical papers and presentations as well as IP generation through authoring (or co-authoring) disclosures and patents.
The Lead Research Engineer participates in brainstorming and design bursts contributing to the technology strategy for their department. They support building business unit relationships by presenting ideas and projects, contributing to the development of compelling value propositions for technology work and acquiring resources and funding needed to ensure success.
As a key member, the Lead Engineer is expected to develop themselves as a subject matter expert both internally and externally to Eaton. This includes attending conferences, seminars and/or consortium meetings in relevant industry to network with technical peers and stay relevant in their fields.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Serve as a technical lead and/or project lead in technology realization programs/projects utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions contributing to the technology strategy for their department
- Contribute to the value proposition development for technical projects and programs
- Contribute to government proposal preparation and/or assist with project execution. May serve as technical lead in proposal preparation and/or owner of work package during project execution
- Support building business relationships by presenting ideas and projects, participating in ideation events and acquiring resources and funding needed
- Assist in the identification of leading external partnerships, outside technologies and best practices to bring to Eaton
- Participate in external open innovation events with universities and research institutes
- Develop as a subject matter expert through active participation in conferences, seminars and/or consortium meetings in relevant industry to network and stay current on topics in their field
- Actively contributes to IP generation through authoring or co-authoring disclosures and patents
- Effectively apply appropriate processes, system and tools (ex: DFSS)
- Mentor junior staff and consult internal business and engineering customers
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Control System Engineering from an accredited institution required
- 3 years of experience in the design and optimization of power systems, including system level modeling to conduct trade studies and down-select architecture of electro-mechanical systems or electro-hydraulic systems components and controls
- PhD preferred in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Control System Engineering or a related field.
- Experience in some of the following areas: mechatronics; advanced controls; motor drive controls; hydraulics systems; powertrain management solutions
- Experience in leading projects.
- Ability to apply Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodology, DFSS Green Belt is a plus.
- Experienced in engaging with business stakeholders and OEM customers and developing strong partnerships in key research areas.
- Experience in system design and optimization, performing dynamic systems modeling and analysis, performing technology research and development from concept to implementation.
- Recognized externally as a subject matter expert. This may be evident through invitations to present a technical presentation or publish in a technical journal as SME to an audience of technical/industry peers
- Proficient in model-based control system development using tools such as Matlab/Simulink, AMESim, and real-time control systems in both hardware-in-the-loop simulation and prototype systems.
- Strong technical publication and invention record
- Able to drive strong business case with key stakeholders and create new commercial applications for Eaton
- Broad domain knowledge in various power systems (mechanical, hydraulics, electro-magnetic, robotics) as well as hybrid systems such as electric-hybrid and hydraulic hybrid.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time