Interoperability between generating devices in an electrical grid is essential to maintaining steady voltage and frequency performance. With the increased integration of renewable energy and other converter-based systems, the interest of improving the stability of electrical grids is increasing. In addition, microgrids require methods to maintain grid operation in transient situations. We are offering a position in Eaton as a thesis worker to develop control systems to increase grid stability (including in microgrids).
The scope of this thesis is to investigate power electronic converter control methods to support the grid with rotating mass based generation during a transient situation. The thesis work includes literature and background studies, running simulations using MATLAB and possibly also testing with real hardware. The majority of the work, however, is based around simulations and modelling.
- Student with focus on control systems or power electronics
- Interest in simulations and modelling of electrical systems
- Experience in programming and understanding of electrical grids is valued
- 6-8 month paid thesis worker position. Position is full-time with possibility to flex around university obligations.
- Possibility to work remotely for at least some of the time. Our office and R&D laboratory are both based in Espoo
- Possibility to work on concrete solutions to real-world problems as part of an international R&D organization.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: PQED Power Quality Division EMEA
Job Level: Entry Level
Does this position offer relocation?: No