Eaton’s Corporate Research Technology Group is currently seeking a Senior Engineering Specialist, EMH Systems for our facility in Southfield Michigan. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Eaton's Corporate Research and Technology organization focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton's customers with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions. Within this organization, the Machine Systems Technologies (MST) team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses around mechatronics and electrification. The MST team has a senior engineering specialist position available in our Southfield, MI location.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Lead technology strategy and execution for broad applications, including acquiring resources, funding, and establishing key partnerships both internally and externally.
- Be the subject matter expert within the area of vehicle electrification for Eaton
- Develop and maintain relationships with the external technical community and academia, actively participate in industry or technical groups and events, and publish papers.
- Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process
- Serve as the principal investigator in government proposal preparation and/or project execution of large projects
- Set IP strategy with business unit stakeholders and actively contribute to IP generation
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, robotics, electrical engineering, applied physics, or mechatronics from an accredited institution
- Minimum of seven years of experience post-graduation
- Experience in a minimum of three of the following areas:
- Research Development and Engineering (RD&E) experience relating to xEV’s such as Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV), ideally in the area of power electronics and energy conversion systems
- RD&E experience with mechatronic systems for automotive and/or aerospace applications is strongly preferred. Ideal candidate will have significant experience in design, control, multi-physics simulation and validation of electrified machine systems such as electric drive systems, electric thrust systems etc.
- 1D mechatronic systems modeling & simulation experience using MATLAB/SIMULINK/Simscape, AMESim, GT Suite, Easy 5 or similar tools is a major plus
- Model based control system design experience and theoretical background in control system techniques including, but not limited to MPC, optimal controls, adaptive controls etc.
- Experience taking more than one new application through new product introduction
- Recognition externally as a subject matter expert, which will be evident through invitations to present a technical presentation or publish in a technical journal to technical/industry peer
- Track record of success in IP generation and monetization
- PhD in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, robotics, electrical engineering, applied physics, or mechatronics from an accredited institution
- Experience in robotics and autonomous systems is considered a plus
- Entrepreneurship skills, including the ability to excel in an R&D environment
- Demonstrated high level of passion and proficiency in chosen field
- Customer interface and presentation skills
- Emotional intelligence, maturity and the ability to navigate complex organizations
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time