Eaton’s Industrial Controls Division, headquartered just 14 miles from downtown Milwaukee, WI, is looking for a Model Shop and Lab Intern for the fast-paced new product development team.
Under general supervision, assist senior technicians, model makers, and engineers by providing support within our state of the art 50,000+ square feet of labs and model shop. The candidate will have the opportunity to work within the model shop to produce rapid prototypes, fixtures, and various fabricated parts in addition to performing electrical and mechanical test programs on engineering prototypes or production samples. The candidate will learn proper documentation practices through exposure to test plans, data collection, and detailed written test reports. Product development is aligned to the efficient and safe control of industrial motors and their associated driven loads in varied applications and environments. Systems include environmentally rated assemblies with a wide range of industrial products including variable frequency drives, reduced voltage soft starters, NEMA & IEC starters, branch protection schemes, and intelligent monitoring solutions enabling local and IoT based decisions. The candidate will work on different types of products as mentioned above. The candidate will learn how to use Milling Machine, Drill Press, 3D Printers and a wide variety of lab equipment including instrumentation, data acquisition, environmental chambers, and simulated loads.
This position will reside in an Eaton divisional headquarters building, which houses engineering for multiple product lines, as well as marketing, sales, finance, and R&D. The facility was built in 2012 and boasts an open office layout surrounded by large windows, as well as 50,000+ square feet of onsite state-of-the-art laboratory space.
Analyze each assigned task with the project engineer / requestor to reach an understanding of the fabrication or testing objectives. Take responsibility for the organizing, executing and recording / reporting of results.
Objectively evaluate test results during the project phases and clearly communicate conclusions to the project engineer / requestor both verbally and in writing.
Provide feedback, based on test results and observations, to improve product function or integrity throughout the development stage.
As required, assist in the creation of test fixtures needed to perform functional and environmental tests. Set up and perform specific or unique tests under the general supervision of the project engineer.
Establish a working knowledge of standard test procedures. Fully understand the capabilities, use and care of available equipment.
Develop automated test systems to streamline and standardize re-occurring tests. Furnish documentation so that unique systems can be maintained and utilized by others.
Maintain competence in pertinent electrical and mechanical technologies. Use a variety of moderately sophisticated equipment such as spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, complex oscilloscopes, and PCs to perform routine tasks.
Possess ability to bring successful closure to distinct and moderately complex assignments. Use imagination, creativity, and resourcefulness while executing your assigned work.
Establish a close working relationship with project engineers and peers. Share knowledge with other technicians as to improve core knowledge and capabilities.
Follow and assist in the enforcement of safety regulations, as well as support local / corporate processes and initiatives.
Ability to read blue prints and understand schematics.
Individual will be an integral part of a cross functional team, working on designs for release of new product development projects and manufacturing plant cost out and maintenance projects.
Basic Required Qualifications for this position include:
- Actively enrolled in an associate’s degree program within a technical discipline at an accredited institution or a technical certificate program
- 1 year of course work completed by summer 2020
- Must have a GPA of a 2.8 or higher (please do not round)
- This position does not offer relocation. The candidate must reside within 50 miles of Menomonee Falls, WI
- Must be eligible to work in the US on an on-going basis without company sponsorship
- Must have good communication, organizational skills. Must be self-motivated and able to complete tasks with little supervision.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment supporting product development or maintenance.
- Skill in use of computer for test documentation and analysis. Able to use programming skills to develop automated instrument control and data acquisition programs. (i.e. LabView, Python, etc.).
- Knowledge in the following tools: Microsoft Office, CAD Software familiarity
- Aptitude in the use of hand tools for mechanical assembly and electrical wiring of test apparatus and devices to be built and tested.
- Analysis and problem solving skills to determine root cause and assist in obtaining corrective actions.
- Knowledge of Eaton Electrical products or similar industrial control products and application of agency standards such as UL, NEMA, IEC, CE, etc.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD ICD Industrial Controls Division
Job Level: Entry Level
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time