Eaton’s eMobility division is currently seeking a Senior Power Electronics Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Tualatin, OR facility.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
The Senior Power Electronics Engineer will lead engineering activities for power electronics and power conversion design and hardware development for on- and off-road vehicle electrical systems and products. In this role, you will guide the technical designs in a self-directed manner, independently perform assignments with minimal guidance, and understand the business impact of your decisions.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Take a systems approach to establishing product requirements, managing risk, testing/evaluating, and ensuring reliability while collaborating cross-functionally to assure successful product/system development, design and implementation.
- Prepare new project estimates and possess the ability to generate the scope, effort, schedule, risks, and product cost.
- Develop and launch new innovative products, using the Eaton PROLaunch stage-gate process, on time, on budget, and to project scope.
- Complete appropriate technical documentation for your designs including schematics, analysis documentation, PCB layouts, BOMs, DFMEA’s, DVP&R’s, theory of operations documents, and user manuals.
- Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with key stakeholders, customers, and vendors.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical field from an accredited institution required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in new product development in electronic and/or electromechanical systems
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of Tualatin, OR. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Electronic hardware design—power electronics, switch-mode power supplies, DC-DC converters, DC-AC inverters, electrical transient protection schemes, design for EMC, etc.
- Electronic design tools: schematic capture, circuit and behavioral simulation (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys) PCB layout and design
- Experience with C, C++, C# programming and/or embedded programming
- Experience with ST, Renesas, TI, Microchip, Atmel or similar microprocessor families
- Experience with various software tools (C compilers, programming environments, programming stations, serial data networks)
- Understanding vehicle applications and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing
- Ability to plan, schedule, and execute development testing (scheduling test labs, designing test equipment, designing and building test harnesses, creating test strategies for both validation and production testing, writing procedures and reports)
- Working knowledge serial data protocols (i.e. I2C, CAN, J1939, SPI, LIN, VCAN, FCAN, etc.)
- Creating and maintaining electronic documentation for manufacturing.
- Supporting manufacturing with part substitutions, obsolescence, and product cost reductions
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time