Eaton’s Corporate Research and Technology group, Eaton Research Labs (ERL) has an exciting and rewarding position of a Specialist Research Engineer in thermal management to initiate, lead, and support research and technology development in emerging technology programs. This position will be based out of our Southfield, MI facility. Relocation assistance will be provided.
The job function primarily includes developing and testing innovative cooling solutions for power conversion technologies and identifying market opportunities for the new technologies, supporting businesses to evaluate market studies, and developing business cases. The individual will also identify internal and external funding resources, lead discussions with national labs and university leaders to stay on top of the key technologies identified. A key role will be to lead customer relationships, present ideas and projects to Eaton business leaders and ERL leadership. Ability to communicate complex technologies in a clear and concise manner to variety audiences (business leaders, technical colleagues and lay people) is highly valued. A good blend of technical skills & business acumen is required to be successful in this position.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Lead technology strategy and execution for advanced thermal management solutions, primarily for mobile electrification needs. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing key partnerships both internally and externally to drive technological advancement.
- Advance the state of the art in the area of power electronics and power conversion system cooling and packaging solutions, including single and double-sided cooling, jet impingement, micro-channel liquid cooling, adaptive cooling, multi-phase solutions etc.
- Advance the state of the art in the area of electric machine cooling solutions to achieve superior critical to quality (CTQ) metrics.
- Identify and develop commercialization opportunities with diverse Eaton businesses.
- Be responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts under your control.
- Serve as a subject matter expert within the area of heat thermal/fluid sciences with applications to power conversion, power distribution and other open innovation or white space technologies for Eaton. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, active participation in industry or technical groups and events, publishing papers, etc.
- Be a subject matter expert internally, you will own technical leadership and collaborate with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural globally distributed teams, mentor junior staff and consult with internal business customers and engineering staff.
- Identify, analyze, develop and validate advanced technologies in the fields of cooling of Power Conversion and Power Systems.
- Serve as Principal Investigator in government proposal preparation and/or project execution of projects and those considered white space for Eaton.
- Evaluate machine performance vs. requirements using specified test procedures. Communicate applicable information with stakeholders
- Execute on R&D objectives in diverse areas of mechanical engineering such as thermo-fluids, thermodynamics, intelligent and green energy systems
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Applied Physics from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 5 years of industrial or entrepreneurial experience in one of the following fields: heat transfer, fluid dynamics, fluid-structure interaction applicable to power electronics, electromagnetics, power conversion or electric drives, fluid-structure interaction problems
- Proficiency with analytical techniques as it relates to thermal-fluid-structure interaction problems; advanced heat transfer analysis, CFD & FEA analysis, electromagnetic analysis.
- Experience in design, analysis and test of thermal management system solutions as it relates to power electronics and power conversion systems
- Experience in thermal management and/or electromagnetics as applied to low and medium voltage power conversion systems from concept develop to hardware validation.
- Experience in simulation of thermal-fluid & fluid-structure systems using thermal networks, FEA, & CFD analysis using tools such as Fluent, Star-CCM+, Icepak, ANSYS, COMSOL etc.
- Experience in electromagnetic principles and analysis techniques; magnetic saturation, core loss, THD, resonance, proximity effects, parasitic capacitance, leakage inductance, impedance analysis, eddy currents etc.
- Experience in all modes of heat transfer (convection, conduction, radiation, phase change) in electric systems, and a good understanding of fluid dynamics.
- Design, analysis, and test of electromagnetic components (inductors, transformers, electric machines).
- Knowledge in thermodynamics, waste heat recuperation, energy management
- Knowledge of Thermal properties of various materials (metals, plastics, ceramics, liquids, gases, rubbers, polymers, grease, adhesives, phase change materials) and their applications in electric systems.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time