Eaton’s Power Component Division is currently seeking a Resistance Welding/Brazer Technician to join our team. This position is based at our Moon Township, PA facility
The R&D Resistance Welding/Brazer Technician will be part of a BU business unit cross- functional team and will work with engineers on the design and industrialization of new products. Incumbents will develop brazed prototype samples for engineering evaluations and will assist industrialization engineering with all brazing efforts during the deployment of brazed assemblies into the manufacturing facility once approved by design. This position supports more than just development activities in which refinement and adjustments to established brazing processes are needed for product line support or cost out projects. This role will Design and industrialize welding processes for NPD projects as well as for product robustness improvement projects for existing low & medium voltage products.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Coordinate the development, procurement, and implementation of prototype and production tooling, fixtures, & equipment, relative to the welding processes, within budget and schedule, while ensuring safety, quality, and yield requirements are met. Initiate Capital Appropriation Requests as needed.
- Identify and evaluate cost reduction opportunities, as well as assist in the implementation of cost out ideas to meet NPD cost targets and provide input and prepare documentation to support NPD project activity requirements relative to the brazing processes (process maps and layouts, process potential failure mode effects analysis (PFMEAs), design for manufacture and assembly, product cost & budget).
- Collaborate with PCD design and manufacturing teams, as well as with plant quality and safety functions, throughout product and process development to ensure a successful transition from design to prototype to production.
- Collect, analyze, and report early product and process performance data for the welding processes, using applicable Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing approaches.
- Review Engineering drawings for manufacturability of welded assemblies and follow-up with the implementation of Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) as applicable.
- Develop pilot production fixtures and associated processes for welded assemblies to support NPD and robustness projects. Provide NPD post-launch support until product and processes are stable and have reached acceptable yields.
- Create and implement process controls, work instructions, standard work, and required safety documentation, and provide relevant training to plant brazing personnel.
- Provide guidance and maintain preventive maintenance program for brazing related equipment; Develop predictive maintenance programs to prevent equipment failure before it occurs. Perform prestart checks and assist with equipment maintenance
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Associates Degree, Journeyman Card OR certification from accredited institution in the area of welding, resistance welding and/or brazing.
- Certification in the area of fabrication/machining equipment from accredited institution.
- 5 or more years of related resistance welding & brazing experience
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Moon Township, PA will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Prefer 10 or more years of related resistance welding & brazing experience
- Knowledge of Six Sigma, VA/VE, and Lean manufacturing tools
- Knowledge of design and statistical software tools (AutoCAD. Minitab)
- Ability to develop time and costing estimates of jobs & parts needed for planning and expense purposes.
- Ability to set up and perform manual machining of parts or fixtures, Design & build fixtures to support parts during the development brazing process and performs part checks/inspection of finished work-piece to specifications, using measuring and inspection tools.
- Guides and shares knowledge with other technicians as necessary to improve technician’s pool core knowledge and capabilities to support brazing for NPD and PLS initiatives.
- Support management of product cost and capital expense forecasts for NPD and other engineering led projects.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing facility to establish the production layouts and manning requirements for the welding operations to support plant ergonomic and productivity objectives. Provide guidance and maintain preventive maintenance program for brazing related equipment; Develop predictive maintenance programs to prevent equipment failure before it occurs. Perform prestart checks and assist with equipment maintenance
- Team oriented, learning agility, written & verbal communication skills - Ability to collaborate with cross-functional team members to problem solve
- Ability to safely use machinist tools
- Working knowledge of resistance welding equipment and testing procedures
- Guides, trains and collaborates with counterparts or peers
- Understanding of product and process requirements, process design, and performance requirements
- Correct and prevent manufacturing issues related to the brazing process that are impactful to the plant’s High Five metrics.
- Knowledge of word-processing software and programs (Microsoft Office)
- Understanding and contributing to safe work places
- May require 10% international travel.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD PCD Power Components Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time