Eaton Research Labs (ERL) has an exciting opportunity for a Specialist Engineer in the area of Power Electronics to support research, development & engineering focused on new technology and/or product introductions. This position will be based out of our Southfield MI location.
The job function includes developing and testing innovative power conversion technologies and identifying market opportunities for the new technologies, support businesses to evaluate market studies and develop business cases. The individual will also identify internal and external funding resource, support discussions with national labs and university leaders to be on top of the key technologies identified. A key role will be to establish customer relationships, present ideas and projects to Eaton business leaders and ERL leadership. Ability to communicate complicated technologies in a clear and concise fashion to different stakeholders (business leaders, technical colleagues and lay people) is highly valued. A good blend of technical knowledge and business acumen is required to be successful in this position.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Define, plan, lead and execute technology programs and map technical solutions in areas such as electric mobility, more electric aircraft, advanced energy storage systems and management
- Create emerging power conversion, protection & power system solutions based on breakthrough technologies for industrial, automotive, truck, and aerospace applications.
- Lead complex global technology realization programs/projects involving multiple stakeholders external to Eaton utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews
- Advance state of the art power electronics, power systems, and power converter technologies, as well as identify and develop commercialization opportunities with diverse Eaton businesses.
- Lead and collaborate with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural globally distributed teams, lead specific task within the scope of work and provide updates to project manager.
- Identify, analyze, develop and validate advanced technologies in the fields of power conversion and distribution leveraging Eaton Business System & AgileStarts.
- Initiate, lead and support global technology programs utilizing Eaton’s technology development processes including Business Reviews, Technology Reviews, and Project Reviews.
- Participate in technology strategy discussions with Eaton’s Businesses and develop technology road maps.
- Engage multiple business stakeholders, cross-functional teams, National Labs, Universities and OEM customers, and develop strong partnerships in key research area such advanced power electronics and conversion technologies, smart energy and machine systems, next-gen electric machines and drives, vehicle to grid/vehicle/home technologies etc.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- PhD degree from an accredited institution is required.
- Minimum 5 years of industrial or entrepreneurial experience is required.
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Experience in conversion and power systems engineering, including creating specifications, defining application space, designing technical solution concepts, and building and testing prototypes to validate models/hypotheses and documenting results.
- Experience in modeling power converters and power systems using simulation tools (example: MATLAB/Simulink, PLECS, Simplorer, PSIM and/or PSCAD).
- Experience in power electronics electromechanical packaging techniques; understanding of the effects of parasitic capacitance/inductance on circuit performance, familiarity with techniques for the minimization and/or control of parasitics, familiarity with voltage creepage and clearance requirements and various insulation and interconnection techniques; familiarity with various power electronic component cooling techniques, etc.
- Experience with real time simulators such as DSPACE, OPAL-RT and/or RTDS
- Expertise in the following areas: Motor Drive technology, drive/power converter topologies, high-power electronics; electric machines and controls; electrification of vehicles, energy storage, vehicle to grid connected converters; alternative power generation and distribution.
- Appreciation for the trade-offs necessary to achieve designs that meet performance requirements and cost objective solutions.
- Proven track record in new technology development and/or product introductions with multiple stakeholders in a matrix organization.
- Demonstrated high level of passion & proficiency in one’s chosen field
- Customer interface & presentation skills
- Emotional intelligence, maturity and the ability to navigate complex organizations
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time