Eaton’s Power Systems Division is currently seeking a Lead Embedded Software Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Franksville, WI site.
The Lead Embedded Software Engineer is responsible for developing embedded software/firmware for high performance, real-time controls and protective relays used for smart grid applications in the electrical power distribution industry. In this role, you will collaborate with a multi-discipline engineering team (software, hardware, and test) to define requirements between hardware and software subsystems.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Design and implement features for power system intelligent electronic devices, including power system protection algorithms, system diagnostics/prognostics, communication protocols, cybersecurity, and other relay, control and monitoring functions using C/C++
- Lead high-level design activities for new product features and system interface design activities and lead the resolution of integration issues
- Participate in tasks related to new product development/feature development including planning, task estimation, design, programming, unit testing, peer review, integration and release
- Participate in the analysis and specification of embedded software subsystems
- Design and implement unit test in support of developer testing activities and integration with Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines
- Plans and executes tasks in collaboration with the product team to ensure project objectives are met
- Evaluates and recommends software development process improvements in collaboration with engineering management
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Software Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of five years of experience in computer, software, or electrical engineering
- Must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship now and in the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Franksville, WI will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Ability to work effectively in an Agile Scrum (or other iterative development) environment
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented Design (OOD) principles
- Strong understanding of real-time operating system (RTOS) concepts
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) and a good familiarity with unit test frameworks (e.g. GoogleTest, GoogleMock, xUnit++, etc.)
- Experience with multi-core embedded systems
- Experience using SDLC management tools in a team environment (e.g. Jira, Git, etc.)
- Knowledge of power systems, switchgear and regulator controls products/applications is an added advantage.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Collaborate with external and internal customers, such as Marketing, Service, Operations and other engineering teams throughout the product development life cycle
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment, get results and drive change through others.
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage by influence through solid relationships and process focus
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG PSD Power Systems Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time