Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Eaton is a power management company with 2018 sales of $21.6 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 99,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com.
Join Eaton and help us provide energy-efficient solutions that have a real impact on the environment. We make what matters work. Find out more on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baa_aiJ4L7E
Do you want to work for a global player, where we care about ethics, inclusion and diversity and our people?
Reporting directly to the R&D Team Leader, in this role you will design and develop electronics hardware (analogue and digital PCB design) for the Fire platform products. Working closely with software and mechanical teams to ensure that design is fit for purpose, you will be expected to have a good understanding of electronics hardware as well as modern manufacturing techniques for high volume electronics manufacture. The role also covers investigating new technologies for future products and leading support activities for current production products such as field returns and component obsolescence and an appreciation of full design life cycles from conception to production is essential.
The Cwmbran facility is the center of excellence for the Fire product line, a leading manufacturer and a global supplier of high quality fire systems and devices. With our ability to provide complete systems, not just components, our customers can be confident in the knowledge that all of our products have been specifically designed and tested to ensure that they are all fully compatible to form a reliable, compliant fire detection and alarm system.
Senior Hardware Engineer
Your key deliverables:
- Analogue hardware design (Discrete transistor level, op-amps, comparators, power supply design/understanding etc.) digital design (Flash memories, microprocessor integration and specification)
- Design Documentation based on a V-Cycle Development process (requirement capture, design architecture WCCA (Worst-case circuit analysis), DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), Test planning and product sign-off) – full design life cycle involvement
- Investigate new technologies for future products and lead support activities for current production products such as field returns and component obsolescence
- Collaborate closely with software and mechanical teams to ensure that product design is fit for purpose
- Utilize appropriate engineering techniques to design within a high volume and low-cost manufacturing environment
- Design for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) to ensure compliance with applicable standards
- Supervision/mentoring of other engineers
- Degree qualification or equivalent in relevant discipline e.g. electronics/electrical engineering
- Analogue hardware design expertise (Discrete transistor level, op-amps, comparators)
- Digital design expertise (Flash memories, microprocessor integration and specification)
- Software familiarity (Software design constraints, hardware/software boundary specification)
- Mechanical familiarity (Mechanical constraints of electronics design such as thermal, shock/vibration etc.) (desirable)
- Project Management and Time Management (Management of projects from concept to production)
Then we want to hear about you!
What Eaton offers:
- Contract in fast growing global company
- Challenging projects in dynamic collaborative team
- Great career opportunities – We encourage internal promotion, whenever possible
- Excellent working environment – safety and ethics are really important for us
- Culture & Values – We are more than the products we invent and produce – the way we do business is just as important. At Eaton, our values and culture define who we are – both individually and as an organization – and direct our activities every day
- Inclusion & Diversity - Openness to diversity widens our access to the best talent. Inclusion allows us to engage that talent fully
- Learning & Development - We invest in our employees for the long term – not just with salary and benefits, but with on-going learning and development opportunities made available through Eaton University
Candidate applying to the vacancy may subject to background screening.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: LSD Life Safety Division EMEA
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time