Eaton’s Power Components division is currently seeking a Lead Product Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Moon Township, PA facility.
The Lead Product Engineer will lead and perform product design engineering for Eaton’s Low Voltage Industrial Circuit Breaker product lines. Primary focus is to ensure function, performance margin and design robustness of Air Circuit Breaker (ACB) and Molded Case Circuit Breaker (MCCB) products. Responsibilities include new product development, maintaining third party certifications, compliance with standards & functional requirements, supporting the resolution of production yield and quality issues, performance enhancements to improve existing products, validating changes in design or manufacturing, validating cost reductions (VA/VE), and addressing application issues. The position interfaces with the manufacturing teams, product line marketing, and quality departments, as well as customers. The individual will have design responsibility for product families and will coordinate and execute projects of all sizes from inception through validation and production implementation.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Enhance performance margin and drive product robustness. Address third party testing non-conformances and implement design & specification improvements to prevent nonconformance which disrupt divisional product sales and delivery
- Perform, leverage, and drive component & system level modelling / simulation activities and initiate changes into existing and new component design. And use tolerance and sensitivity analysis on system and components to optimize dimensions and specifications on product drawings.
- Compile, study reconcile and approve product requirements and standards, and lead team-based product conceptual and detailed design, development, validation and documentation of product designs. Facilitate PROLaunch stage-gate new product development system.
- Work closely with manufacturing facility and key processes owners (assembly, welding, calibration, feeders, supply chain, etc.) to understand basic operation and ensure capability.
- Assist in establishing control plans, component & process verification and defining critical-to-quality characteristics and learn and integrate GD&T, Design For Six Sigma, simulation & modeling software, and phase-gate development processes for circuit breaker design and development activities.
- Participate in the development of production tooling and assembly fixtures to enable error-proof and cost-effective production of circuit breakers.
- Build prototypes and models where necessary and direct relevant testing in lab facilities. Understand and comply with site specific electrical test lab equipment and procedures, including health, safety and security aspects.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree or higher in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working with mechanical or electromechanical design.
- No relocation is offered for this position. All candidates must currently reside within 50 miles of Moon Township, PA to be considered.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Experience with Six-Sigma quality tools, Design for Six Sigma green belt training or certification preferred
- General knowledge of product design for cost-effective manufacture, industrial circuit breaker design, requirements and applications, and working knowledge of applicable regulatory standards.
- Computer skills. Experience with Pro/Engineer Creo, and computer-based simulation modeling (static stress, thermal, kinematics/dynamics, tolerance, etc.).
Position Success Criteria :
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- You will engage with the design team to play a full and active part in the design projects, implementing improvements and ways of accelerating programs and reducing costs. Build functional excellence in the design team and identify opportunities for collaboration with other functions or external partners to accomplish the project goals.
- You will utilize communication skills to clarify business and product requirements, present design reviews, deploy designs and instructions, communicate application information and lead product teams.
- You will generate and execute test programs and test protocols to determine if design criteria for system, software and hardware are met.
- Cross-functional teamwork and written & verbal communication skills. Fundamentals of project management.
- Methodical mechanical problem solver. Analytical skills. Fundamentals of electricity.
- Understanding product requirements and performance margin and system, product & component design.
- Basic laboratory and shop skills
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD PCD Power Components Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time