Eaton’s Power Electronics Center of Excellence is currently seeking a Lead Power Electronics R&D Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Raleigh, NC site. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Eaton is seeking an Eng- Power Electronics Engineer(PE) for its newly formed Power Electronics (PE) Center of Excellence (CoE).
Eaton’s PE CoE accelerates the company’s growth through the development of power electronics technology platforms and common hardware building blocks that are scalable, cost-effective, and manufacturable as well as standardized design methodologies that can be adopted by multiple business units, which provides a foundation for our business to more rapidly develop innovative products.
This individual will be a member of the PE CoE and play a key role in driving the development of technology platforms, common building blocks, and design methodologies to be leveraged by multiple business units
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Performs design, modeling, simulation and implementation of power electronics circuits for power protection, distribution, and quality
- Develops the technical requirements for and identifies components for the designs and creates technical reports and presentations.
- Builds and measures test circuits. Analyzes data to improve/optimize the designs.
- Collaborates with mechanical, thermal, control and firmware engineers to successfully develop and validate the designs
- Evaluates the designs to meet requirements factoring in performance, cost, size, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Initiates and leads design reviews and technical discussions including brainstorming and supports the development of PE CoE technology roadmaps, project pipeline, detailed project plans, and value proposition
- Develops solid relationships with engineering leaders within Eaton to drive adoption of common platforms, common designs, and state-of-the art development process like model-based design.
- Partners with the Eaton Research Lab (ERL) to develop a longer-term research portfolio for power electronics
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 5 years of engineering experience in power electronics design/test and product development (Graduate research experience or above will be considered toward this requirement)
- MS or PhD in electrical engineering
- Understanding of circuit protection devices (e.g. breakers, contactors, and relays), power system protection, and emerging power systems (e.g. Microgrid and DC grid)
- Strong knowledge of power semiconductors, power electronics passive components (e.g. high-frequency magnetics, power capacitors, etc.), state-of-the-art cooling techniques;
- Experience with modern converter topologies, specifically isolated DC-DC converters (e.g. resonant, phase shifted full bridge, dual active bridge), multi-level inverters;
- Thorough understanding of PCB layout and EMC/EMI design practices, of voltage clearance/creepage requirements, insulation and interconnection techniques;
- Experience in power electronics virtual prototyping
- Experience working in diverse cultural situations with global customers and team members
- Design for Six Sigma certification
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to Coach and mentor other engineers to develop their technical capabilities and experience.
- Stays current with the latest technologies trends and applies knowledge to power conversion
- Self-motivated and goal oriented individual.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative orientation, the ability to succeed in a highly team oriented, global, and diverse environment.
- Consistently acts in an ethical, open, honest, trustworthy and truthful manner.
- Customer focused with good relationship building skills
- Ability to learn new skills, technical knowledge, products, or industry
- Desire for innovation, new product development, program management … to make what matters work!
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Electrical Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time