Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Services & Systems is currently seeking a Relay Protection Engineer to join our team. This position will be based at our Warrendale, PA facility.
Eaton’s Switchgear Modernization product line offers a host of solutions for aging power systems to extend the useful life of electrical power systems. These range from remanufacturing to equipment replacement and additions to existing systems that improve reliability and safety. The Relay Protection Engineer shall be an added asset to the Power System Solutions & Custom Panel Shop branch of the Switchgear Modernization product line. The Power System Solutions & Custom Panel Shop team is exposed to a multitude of equipment manufacturers, including all major OEMs protective relays, control switches and other electrical components. We offer single point responsibility, a high level of engineering and systems integration expertise, and a unified focus on cost effective solutions, seamless integration, and professional turnkey system design and implementation.
The Relay Protection Engineer will possess a good understanding of state-of-the-art protective relaying systems, experience in control system integration/development and design, and experience with component selection of relays, power supplies, push buttons, transformers, sensors, and switches. The engineer will be required to coordinate with internal and external customers, work with other design engineers and drafting/designer staff as well as act as a resource and mentor to other engineering staff and will be responsible for interfacing with production personnel. Additionally, the Relay Protection Engineer will also be responsible for developing and planning projects for new and existing equipment control including but not limited to protective relaying and switchgear door upgrades, control panels, remote circuit breaker control enclosures and switchboard controls. This entails of a variety of responsibilities that include working through technical control details, designing control circuits, sizing conductors, overcurrent protection and components, drawing schematics and panel layout, creating work standards, working with the internal team, vendors and contractors on electrical design of equipment and systems. Finally, the engineer will support and may spearhead efforts to improve processes and procedures.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Read schematics and drawings, have a thorough understanding of electrical and electronic symbols and understand various protection schemes and proper testing techniques and/or for the troubleshooting and correcting of non-working product.
- Knowledgeable with all aspects of various protective relays and power meters, including all device types: microprocessor-based, solid state, and electro-mechanical.
- Self-manage and lead the technical execution of assigned projects and maintain job cost accountability to perform work within budgeted cost estimates.
- In the absence of firm customer specifications or design, be able to perform engineering system design for customized solutions to include low voltage or medium voltage electrical equipment as required to meet basic customer requirements.
- Works as part of a team to develop bills of material, mechanical and electrical design layouts, assembly and detail drawings and models utilizing AutoCAD Inventor.
- Detail electrical design of custom solutions including all logic diagrams, single/three lines diagrams, protection and controls schematics and interconnection wiring diagrams and meet or exceed standard requirements to meet customer specifications and industry standards.
- Design of control systems that involve electrical wiring, electronics, controls mechanisms, sensors, and hardware related to components.
- Create mechanical and electrical layouts, bills of materials for Internal and External Manufacturing and create detail 3D models and drawings using AutoCAD Inventor modeling software.
- Interface with vendors and purchasing team on requesting quotes. Develop vendor requirements as part of RFQ to vendors. Review pricing and technical response of vendors to ensure scope of supply is well defined and adequately addressed in bid.
- Travel to customer sites to collect field measurements of customer’s existing equipment and occasionally perform job site supervision during installation of final solution.
- Assist Lead Application Engineer with technical proposals/bid packages by interpreting project specifications and customer inquiries and identifying detailed specification responses and pricing.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing regarding problems relating to custom designs, specification and functional performance.
- Provide technical assistance after order receipt, interface with internal and external customers, and resolve installation issues and solve problems during project execution.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain basic project schedules and work in conjunction with Site Manager to create the overall project timeline from input of each functional team member as well as define deliverables and drive team to completion.
- Ability to self-motivate and work with a wide variety of cross-functional team members.
- Manage effective customer communications and improve organization responsiveness to customer requirements.
- Participates in innovation, assembly, design testing, and documentation of new life extension solutions.
- Support team on electrical system product, standards and specification improvements.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3 years of electrical industry experience
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Warrendale, PA will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future
- Experience with specifying equipment and specification document creation.
- Experience with systems software such as Bid Manager, Vista, Oracle, SAP, SharePoint, and Power BI.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Electrical Engineering Technology or Electro-Mechanical from an accredited institution
- Experience creating engineering drawings of complex assemblies and detail components for manufacturing.
- Experience programming protective relay settings
- Possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license.
- Ability to read engineering drawings of complex assemblies and detail components.
- Ability to manage multiple activities at the same time desired.
- Ability to use precision measurement tools and layout techniques desired.
- Strong Computer Skills; Knowledge of MS Office; Outlook, Word, Excel, and ERP systems
- Robust experience and exposure to protection and controls systems.
- Strong experience to deliver technical solutions to customers
- Knowledgeable with NEC (National Electrical Code) and other electrical standards
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and CAD software programs such as AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, or Inventor or ProE is required.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time