Eaton’s Lighting division is currently seeking a Principal Electrical/RF Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Peachtree City or Atlanta, GA facility. Relocation will be available.
The Principal Electrical/RF Engineer is responsible for the creative development of new Connected Buildings lighting products. This role requires a strong understanding of wireless solutions including the physical and network layers, includes participation in all aspects of activities related to RF Engineering from specification, design, fabrication, acquisition, integration and deployment as well as participates in creating the multigeneration product plans and technical roadmaps to help the business achieve its goals.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function, you will:
- Lead product development efforts that encompass a comprehensive oversight of the product design including the RF, digital, power, mechanical, layout, environmental and protocol definition.
- Ensure product design integrity by reviewing designs, recommending actions, providing solutions to the most technical challenges and providing overall technical leadership.
- To ensure the business can achieve their goals, the lead RF engineer need to drive forward vision on new RF technologies, applications and be directly involved with industry certifications bodies (Bluetooth SIG, IEEE, Zigbee alliance and others)
- Design of antennas on RF challenging environments related to IoT and Wireless Lighting controls. These designs must address challenging performance objectives while meeting the size, thermal, regulatory, manufacturability, reliability, and cost objectives.
- Design and validate RF solutions for lighting controls, including modules and SOC implementation. and Actively coordinate the electrical design with the embedded and system design throughout the product development cycle.
- Responsible for on-time, on-budget and on-spec delivery of new product development to fuel the rapid growth of our Connected Buildings group and oversees the planning and allocation of resources for projects and provides scheduling, man-power, asset allocation, budgets and effort estimates for his team’s work.
- Conduct RF site surveys and include results in the design and performance assessments of RF systems
Eaton has announced it has reached an agreement to sell its Lighting Business to Signify N.V. This transaction is expected to be completed in the first Quarter of 2020 and this position is expected to remain with the Lighting Business and would transfer to Signify N.V. upon close. The compensation and benefits that will initially be offered for this position are based on Eaton’s plans, programs and practices. If you are offered and accept this position and are actively employed by the Lighting Business when the transaction closes, you will be eligible to participate in Signify N.V.’s compensation, health, welfare, and retirement benefit plans and programs and should have no expectations that Signify N.V’s plans and programs will mirror or be substantially similar to Eaton’s.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years product design experience
- Experience with embedded power electronics circuit design including switch mode power supplies, power converters, RFI/EMI filtering and embedded RF design.
- Experience with Schematic Capture and/or PCB Design software
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Hands on experience debugging switching power converters and electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes, network and spectrum analyzers.
- Worked with wireless communication (RF) protocols (e.g., Zigbee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth, WiFi, GSM/GPRS, CDMA, GPS)
- An understanding of thermal management, reliability and life testing
- OrCAD Designer or Allegro are preferred
- Experience with Genesys RF/MW simulation software
- Experience with thermal and reliability consideration for embedded hardware design
- Experience with both microprocessor and analog based control systems
- Experience in digital circuit design
- Skilled in writing specifications for hardware design.
- Experience with revision control systems, preferably SVN
Position Success Criteria :
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Knowledge of embedded hardware design, RFI/EMI filtering and embedded RF design.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of analog and digital circuitry design simulation tools (PSpice, LTSpice)
- Experience with Schematic Capture and PCB Design software
- Knowledge of PCB layout considerations for RF designs
- Experience with UL and FCC standards and Certification process.
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Solves very complex technical issues and leads cross functional tiger teams as required.
- Experience in hardware development lifecycle
- Help to define processes and procedures for RF engineering tasks including range testing, compliance screening and performance validation methods.
- Leads technology exploration to provide innovative and cost-effective solutions to the development teams
- Identify emerging technologies in the RF field for use in new product development.
- Influence the technical strategy for current and future product releases.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG LD Lighting Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time