As a power management company with 2018 sales of $21.6 billion, Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power. We have approximately 99,000 employees across the world and sell products to customers in more than 175 countries.
Our company is organized into two main business sectors to best serve end markets. The Electrical Sector with 2018 sales of $13.1B, and the Industrial Sector, comprised of our Aerospace, Hydraulics and Vehicle groups, with 2018 sales of $8.5B.
Our vision is to improve the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
Eaton’s Crouse-Hinds, B-Line and Oil and Gas business has an exciting opportunity for a Vice President of NA Engineering! This role reports directly to the Business President, and functionally reports to the Global Vice President of Engineering. They will be accountable for leading product development and engineering initiatives and overseeing the design and assisting manufacturing in producing new products to support the objectives of continued growth with new products and increased sales volume.
The Vice President of NA Engineering will be charged with engaging a team to lead a collective effort to drive improvement across the North America region. The role is a member of the North America leadership team and supports various locations and engineering teams, including our international engineering teams, that represent a sales volume of $1.5B and approximately 2,400 employees.
- Oversee the new product development engineering strategy and product development roadmap to achieve the company goal for sales growth. This involves the direct application of engineering practices, theory and current technology necessary to solve problems related to engineering design and manufacturing.
- Lead and develop the engineering team in support of talent development initiatives.
- Work closely with marketing to ensure timely estimates of expense and time necessary to develop a particular product.
- Oversee the deployment, and disciplined use of D-MVP (Design for Six Sigma) to ensure timely and cost-effective development and introduction.
- Oversee the activities associated with codes and standards, writing organizations both national and international and product liability and litigation.
- Works closely with domestic and international locations and suppliers to provide direction and maintain project momentum and ensure deadlines are met.
- Oversee the establishment of test plans, combining standard procedures with special procedures, as necessary, to ensure that complete and accurate data is collected during laboratory testing and evaluate data in terms of product design objectives.
- Partnering with Operations and Marketing to develop multi-generation product roadmaps and strategy.
- Establish complete technical specifications, based on functional specifications, on which product design modification is based.
- Partner with offshore engineering teams to accelerate engineering development.
- Ensure that engineering documentation is being generated to establish standards.
- Develop technical data to be used by manufacturing and materials groups for production and tooling.
- Support materials in the proper selection of components and support the unit's commitment to total quality.
- Lead engineering efforts for delivering value add/value engineering (VA/VE) cost savings for the business.
Results Orientation. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the ability to deliver breakthrough results in a challenging business environment. S/he will have introduced substantive improvements to processes, operations, or practices throughout the business and created new solutions and methods to existing problems that have a significant impact on the business. S/he will have routinely implemented best-in-class and leading edge standards on delivering results.
Change Leadership. A successful candidate will have taken specific actions to influence and mobilize others to undertake change by personally modeling the changes and acknowledging others to act in line with change. S/he will have publicly tracked the progress of the change programs in order to energize people to participate and continue in the change process.
Team Leadership. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to create a sense of team ownership and empower the team to perform by providing coordination across different functions and different regions. S/he will take personal risk in sharing or assigning significant responsibility and leveraging explicit strengths and weaknesses of the team members. S/he will have demonstrated the capacity to reward and recognize employees who take initiatives beyond expectations to advance the performance and deliver against the common goal of the organization.
Strategic Orientation. The successful candidate will have the ability to develop a vision and strategy for the CH U.S. operation consistent with the global direction and vision of the business. This strategy and goals will incorporate competitive issues, trends in the industry and key factors influencing the business. S/he will have experience in developing a strategy that covers a range of products and/or markets, and encompasses the full range of organization implications and links with the series of initiatives and priorities that are compelling and logical for the business.
People Development. The ideal candidate will have shown the ability to support specific development needs of others and provide practical support to develop those needs with reasons and rationale by sharing not just what to do but why to do it. S/he will systematically and constructively gather individual development input from multiple sources to define development feedback. The candidate also will set specific individual development goals to build the capability of the organization before long-term success and also develop his own successor over the next few years.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 10 years of engineering experience
- Minimum 8 years of leadership experience in an engineering services or project engineering environment
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Professional Engineering License
- Master’s Degree in Engineering and/or MBA from an accredited institution
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG BLD BLine Division
Job Level: Executive
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time