Eaton Corporation’s Center for Connected Intelligent Solutions (CCIS) has an opening for a Lead Software Engineer who is passionate about his or her craft. This position is based at our Moon Township PA facility.
The Senior Software Engineer will be directly involved in the architecture, development, testing, and deployment of an Internet of Things (IoT) platform. This IoT platform is utilized by Eaton product teams (including the CCIS) to accelerate their delivery of IoT and connected device solutions to their end customers.
If you’re an experienced software professional yearning to work on an impactful project leveraging the latest software technologies and trends such as IoT, NoSQL, big data, open source, DevOps, microservices, mobile, and cybersecurity, this is the position for you. Not only will you be working with some amazing technology, you’ll also be part of an enthusiastic team of software professionals working to make an immediate organizational impact and having lots of fun along the way.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Work with your team and others, contributing to the architecture, design, and implementation of an Internet of Things platform. Development will be primarily in C#, Java/Scala, Azure, and Python.
- Author high-quality, highly-performant, unit-tested code.
- Demonstrate and document solutions by using flowcharts, diagrams, code comments, code snippets, and performance instruments.
- Provide work estimates and participate in design, implementation, and code reviews.
- Develop and execute agile work plans for iterative and incremental project delivery.
- Maintain job knowledge by studying software development techniques and programming languages. Participate in educational opportunities and read professional publications.
- Work with test teams to ensure adequate and appropriate test case coverage; investigate and fix bugs; create automated test scripts.
- Work directly with stakeholders, engineering, and test to create high quality products that solve end-user problems.
- Evaluate business requirements to determine potential solutions.
- Recommend software tools to management and architecture teams.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the software industry with a proven track record of shipping high quality products
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience developing enterprise grade, highly scalable web-based applications and/or distributed systems
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of the work location will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering from an accredited Institution
- Knowledge of CI/CD concepts, tools, and technology
- Knowledge of cloud development platforms such as Azure, AWS, or BlueMix
- Knowledge of security concepts such as encryption, certificates, and key management
- Experience developing near real-time applications
- Expert knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems and their associated development platforms
- Expert level skills in C# and/or Java/Scala and associated IDE’s (Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- Solid understanding of software design principles, algorithms, data structures, and multithreading concepts.
- Thorough understanding of object-oriented design and programming skills, including the use of design patterns
- Solid understanding of networking protocols and concepts (websockets, http, tcp, mqtt, amqp)
- Solid understanding of network and distributed computing concepts
- Working knowledge of one other programming language (Java, C#, C++, Python, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of relational and non-relational database systems
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Extensive experience utilizing best practices in software engineering
- Extensive experience with Agile development methodologies and concepts
- Strong problem solving and software debugging skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively explain technical concepts
- Abreast of upcoming software development/engineering tools, trends, and methodologies
- Good judgment, time management, and decision-making skills
- Ability to apply automation to tasks that require them
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Electrical Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time