Eaton’s eMobility Group is currently seeking a Lead Electrical Engineer to join our team. This position can be based in Menomonee Falls, WI or Southfield, MI
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world
In this role, the Lead Electrical Engineer will conceptualize, lead the design, development, testing, technical documentation, and production launch of new products for electric motor drives and associated embedded controls. Work with customers, vendors, other groups within Eaton on leading developments in electrification of commercial and hybrid vehicles. Develop firmware and hardware architectures which are flexible and extensible across a broad scope of products and applications. Lead and participate in system-level requirements analysis and cost estimation, design reviews and other team development processes. Keep abreast of new and emerging technologies, components and materials. Utilize appropriate CAD tools to design and analyze product functionality and integrity to facilitate rapid deployment.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can
- Generate product requirements specifications in coordination with the customer(s), for the design and development new and innovative products
- Investigate and analyze new materials, components, technologies, applications and their appropriate use within our product lines
- Conduct testing of all new products in accordance with CPD standards and customer requirements
- Provide supervision and support to internal and external design resources when appropriate (e.g. PCB layout, software development, other engineers, test laboratories)
- Review and conduct analyses (FMEA, simulations, modeling, etc.) on new products to ensure their integrity and use the results to optimize designs
- Successfully lead contractors and other resources either co-located or at international locations
- Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with key customers and vendors
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field required from an accredited institution required
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in new product development focused on electrical or electromechanical systems, including electric motor drives, systems
- A minimum of 4 years’ Electrical/Electronic hardware experience - power electronics/inverters for industrial or aerospace or military drives, battery electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems
- Experience with CAD tools: circuit and behavioral simulation (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys, Matlab/Simulink) PCB layout guidance
- Experience performing design verification testing
- Must be able to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of Southfield, MI or Menomonee Falls, WI. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- 10 years’ plus experience Electrical/Electronic hardware - power electronics/inverters for industrial or aerospace or military drives, battery electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems
- Knowledge using DFSS and DFx practices: Manufacturing, Test, Repair, Quality, etc.
- Experience with model-based design methods
- Firmware design
- Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (CAN, J1939, J1587, J1708, LIN) and tools (CANape, CANalyzer, CANopen, etc.)
- Supervising other engineering tasks (assembly drawings, PCB layout, software development, validation testing)
- PCBA and Final Product Testing experience
- Good understanding of commercial vehicle markets and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing required
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly with respect to written and oral communication
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a hands-on laboratory environment with common lab equipment (O-scopes, DMMs, Network and Spectrum analyzers, Dynamometers, mechanics tools, etc.)
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time