Eaton Corporation is currently seeking a Data Protection and Privacy Attorney to join our team. This position is based at our Beachwood, OH facility.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Data Protection and Privacy, the Data Protection and Privacy Attorney provides legal advice to the business and corporate functions like HR, IT and Cybersecurity on Data Protection and Privacy. The Data Protection and Privacy Attorney is responsible for the development and execution of strategies to address regulatory changes in the Americas region. This position contributes to ensure compliance, reduce risk exposure while optimizing business opportunities in accordance with Eaton policies, best practices and applicable laws on a global scale.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this role you will:
- Provide subject matter expertise and legal analysis for data protection and privacy and related matters across the Americas region and manages the delivery of the global and regional Data Protection and Privacy annual plan and program, its objectives and KPIs.
- Contribute to the enterprise data protection and privacy strategy, playing a primary role in critical elements such as developing and executing strategies for implementation of new processes to address regulatory changes such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the new Brazilian Data Protection law (LGPD).
- Lead individual enterprise-wide data protection and privacy projects coordinating with stakeholders across the company including the businesses, law department, information technology, human resources and other functions.
- Serve as an in-depth company resource on North- and South American Data Protection and Privacy laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), HIPAA, the US state breach notification laws, the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and the Mexican Federal Law on the Protection of Personal Data.
- Develop and implements processes for data protection and privacy compliance.
- Review and analyze data protection and privacy laws and how they impact Eaton and applicable stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver training and promote awareness of, and compliance with, requirements on privacy topics.
- Function as a liaison between stakeholders and technical teams to obtain knowledge of personal data in application and smart products.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed Attorney in a minimum of one jurisdiction in the United States
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in the privacy profession
- Minimum of 3 years’ professional experience as a practicing attorney
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship.
- Must reside within 50 miles of Beachwood, OH to be considered.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)
- 1-2 years’ regional project management experience
- Affinity with IT products and services
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the North- and South American Data Protection and Privacy laws
- Knowledge of the European’s General Data Protection Regulation
- Ability to translate the legal data protection obligations in the context of the services the company provides
- Strong English language ability. Additional language capability (e.g. Spanish) a plus
- Experience with data protection and privacy management software (e.g. OneTrust, TrustArc) a plus
- Demonstrated leadership, collaboration, teamwork and problem-solving skills which have resulted in exceeding goals and targets;
- Strong team-oriented interpersonal skills; ability to effectively interface with a wide variety of people
- Ability to travel occasionally
- High degree of independence and strong presentation skills
- Integrity and high standard professional ethics
- Strong intercultural skills and ability bridging cultural differences
- Possess a high-energy leadership style that demonstrates the Eaton Values and Philosophy, effectively interacts with others, establishing open, candid, trusting and strong relationships.
- Proactively broaden capabilities, is skillful in managing conflicts and is able to effect change within a diverse, rapidly-growing and decentralized organization.
- Demonstrated success working in a complex and deadline driven environment
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time