Eaton’s Lighting Division is currently seeking an Principal Electrical RF Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Peachtree City, GA or Midtown Atlanta, GA site.
This position will contribute to the design of analog circuits and wireless modules for lighting control products. Development focuses primarily on analog control circuits, filtering, control circuits and includes participation in all aspects of activities related to RF Engineering from specification, design, fabrication, acquisition, integration and deployment as well as participates in creating the multi-generation product plans and technical roadmaps to help the business achieve its goals.
This role requires a strong understanding of antennas and antenna arrays. The position also requires proven experience, strong communication skills, and the ability to think outside the box. We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast-paced start-up like environment. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and detailed oriented while showing highest standards of responsibility. Detailed technical collaboration with the full cross functional development team will require strong and ongoing communication. Maintaining our market leading position will challenge your creativity and design skills
Eaton has announced its intent to spinoff its Lighting Business into publicly traded company (“SpinCo”). This transaction is expected to be completed by the end of 2019 and this position is expected to remain with SpinCo. The compensation and benefits that will initially be offered for this position are based on Eaton’s plans, programs and practices. The Lighting Business is in the process of developing its total rewards philosophy, strategy and structure, including the design of its benefits and annual and long-term incentive plans that will take effect when SpinCo becomes a publicly traded company. If you are offered and accept this position and are actively employed by the Lighting Business when SpinCo becomes an independent, publicly traded company, you will be eligible to participate in SpinCo’s compensation, health, welfare, and retirement benefit plans and programs and should have no expectations that SpinCo’s plans and programs will mirror or be substantially similar to Eaton’s.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Ensure product design integrity by reviewing designs, recommending actions, providing solutions and providing overall technical leadership.
- To ensure the business can achieve their goals, the lead RF engineer need to drive forward vision on new RF technologies, applications and be directly involved with industry certifications bodies (Bluetooth SIG, IEEE, Zigbee alliance and others)
- Design of antennas on RF challenging environments related to IoT and Wireless Lighting controls. These designs must address challenging performance objectives while meeting the size, thermal, regulatory, manufacturability, reliability, and cost objectives.
- Design and validate RF solutions for lighting controls, including modules and SOC implementation.
- Directly responsible for Antenna selection, design and validation. Come up with new and innovative antenna structures that improve antenna performance, and ideally lowers costs.
Leads technology exploration to provide innovative and cost-effective solutions to the development teams
- Actively coordinate the electrical design with the embedded and system design throughout the product development cycle.
- Responsible for on-time, on-budget and on-spec delivery of new product development to fuel the rapid growth of our Connected Buildings group.
- Oversees the planning and allocation of resources for projects and provides scheduling, man-power, asset allocation, budgets and effort estimates for his team’s work.
- Influence the technical strategy for current and future product releases and identify emerging technologies in the RF field for use in new product development.
- Help to define processes and procedures for RF engineering tasks and conduct RF site surveys and include results in the design and performance assessments of RF systems
- Ensure the product specifications are complete, and comply with regulatory requirements and validate the design through design reviews, product testing and detailed analysis
- Incorporate support for the manufacturing, commissioning and ongoing maintenance of the product / system
- Protect intellectual property through patent disclosures
- Coordinate with manufacturing personnel to ensure production site has been identified, production equipment and other requirements are being put in place and production readiness is achieved.
- Lead design reviews as well as the Design and Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA) sessions to identify project risks and develop response plans
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years product design experience
- Experience with wireless communication (RF) protocols (e.g., Zigbee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth, WiFi, GSM/GPRS, CDMA, GPS
- Experience with Schematic Capture
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Peachtree City, GA or midtown Atlanta, GA will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Hands on experience debugging switching power converters and electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes, network and spectrum analyzers.
- Antenna Design experience
- Experience with UL and FCC standards and Certification process.
- PCB Design software
- Experience in hardware development lifecycle
- Knowledge of embedded hardware design, RFI/EMI filtering and embedded RF design.
- Knowledge of analog and digital circuitry design simulation tools (PSpice, LTSpice)
- Knowledge of PCB layout considerations for RF designs
- An understanding of thermal management, reliability and life testing
- Knowledge of embedded power electronics circuit design including switch mode power supplies, power converters, RFI/EMI filtering and embedded RF design.
OrCAD Designer or Allegro are preferred
- Experience with Genesys RF/MW simulation software
- Experience with thermal and reliability consideration for embedded hardware design
- Experience with both microprocessor and analog based control systems
- Experience in digital circuit design
- Skilled in writing specifications for hardware design.
- Experience with revision control systems, preferably SVN
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Active communication with the cross functional team to ensure schedule, cost and performance alignment
- Protect intellectual property through patent disclosures
- Solves very complex technical issues and leads cross functional teams as required.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG LD Lighting Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time