Eaton's Energy Automation Solutions Division is looking for a Technical Writer. This position is located at our office in St-Bruno-de-Montarville, Quebec.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
The Energy Automation Solutions division delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability solutions that includes self-healing grid, communicating sensors, substation automation, system planning, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency in support of grid modernization. The EAS business primarily serves global utility customers and, in some markets, commercial industrial, and renewable energy markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, and its market recognized Yukon and CYME Software Platforms. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources.
The Technical Writer is responsible for gathering, editing, and developing technical manuals for the CYME software products and custom solutions. In close collaboration with our power system engineering team and our software engineering team, the technical writer will have the objective to take complex technical concepts and turn them into user friendly manuals and instructions. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual, who can work both autonomously and as part of a team, and who can converse fluently in technical terms to deliver quality documentation for software releases and projects.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we, as individuals and as a company, are stronger.
- Plan, develop, write and edit end user materials in multiple formats (software manuals, tutorials, validation cases, installation guides, readme files).
- Extract technical material from specifications and gather information from electrical and software engineers to develop comprehensive technical documentation on various CYME software products and solutions.
- Translate complex engineering concepts into concise explanations and software operational procedures.
- Manage documentation updates and versioning by working closely with the engineering and software team to stay informed on latest feature development.
- Coordinate with software development team to produce finalized formatted copies.
- Review material from other resources for accuracy, completeness and the continuity of style and format.
- Communicate and coordinate with translation team to maintain documents in 4 language versions.
Basic Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years related work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in both English and French.
- Experience writing technical documentation for engineering products, software, or any related field.
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- Relocation is not being offered for this position. Only candidates residing within a 80km-radius of Montreal, Quebec will be considered.
- Practical experience with InDesign, Photoshop or Mad Cap Flare.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Experience in the electric utility industry.
- Experience with managing document translation into different languages.
- Proficiency of a 3rd language (Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese).
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – Canada
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time