Eaton Corporation has an opening for Manufacturing Weld Engineer based in Redditch, UK.
Weld Engineer is responsible for developing welding and Brazing techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment in the fabrication of metals mostly stainless steel Aluminum and titanium , utilizing knowledge of production specifications both in-house customer and industry standard, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles. Conducts research and development investigations to develop and test existing welding processes and procedures, improve existing or develop new welding equipment, develop new or modify current welding and Brazing methods, techniques, and procedures. Investigate production issues with a view to reducing the number of weld and braze reworks. Lead a team of skilled weld operators and supply support to both the High performance team leaders and section team leaders. Work alongside the manufacturing engineering department in a range of department tasks.
- Develop and validate weld process sheets and welding parameters for each production welding station including manual and orbital welding.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the shielding gas system and track consumption rates and mixture
- Monitor welding consumables and weld wire, and identify and implement cost saving opportunities
- Monitor and control gas consumption mix and welding wire
- Develop, conduct, and coordinate welder training classes for support technicians in application and validation of weld process
- Facilitate the analysis of weld coupons and provide technical assistance to the assembly areas
- Implement process improvements due to weld failures and defects
- Ensure accurate documentation of all manual and orbital weld parameters including , resistant, and spot weld also, weld audit reports, and develop and maintain a welding reference library to include weld data cards and standard work instructions.
- Provide new product introduction support to the Weld development engineer.
- Proactive involvement in the innovation and application of new technologies to improve the welding process
- Participate in training and developing in-house training needs
- Developing welding techniques and procedures for manual/orbital welding operations
- Conducts certification tests for qualification of personnel with national code requirements
- Ensures all programs for automated welding systems have all critical documents developed and approved prior to release of profiles to production
- Evaluates new developments in welding field for possible application to current welding problems or processes
- Assist or perform welding equipment setup and communication
- Perform verification of weld equipment performance
- Provide support to both the Tube/Bend/Weld high performance team leader.
- Relevant welding qualifications
- BEng/MEng in Mechanical Engineering or a willingness to undertake
- Strong project and time management, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, from production associates to the leadership team.
- Knowledge of weld and braze joining process (NDT a plus FPI).
- Experience with NadCap audits is a plus.
- Experience in manufacturing.
- Experience with PFMEA and PPAP
- 5 years of Weld Engineering experience would be an advantage.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: AER FED Fluid Electrical Distribution
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No