Eaton’s Electrical Automation Solutions Division is currently seeking a Java Software Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Plymouth, MN site. Relocation is available.
About Energy Automation Solutions Division:
The Energy Automation Solutions division (EAS) delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability solutions that includes self-healing grid, communicating sensors, substation automation, system planning, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency in support of grid modernization. The EAS business primarily serves global utility customers and, in some markets, commercial industrial, and renewable energy markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, and its market recognized Yukon and CYME Software Platforms. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources.
As a Java Software Engineer, you will design, develop, implement, and test enterprise software solutions that drive complex power system automation for electric utilities. You will work with large mature software systems and ensure future development solves business and technical problems. Development focus is on client/server architecture, web based applications, and relational databases, which integrate with various electric utility enterprise systems. We strive to deliver dependable, simplified, and best-in-class software applications to help utilities leverage their assets and manage a smarter grid. Our development team uses the latest proven technologies available to develop enterprise applications that are smart, innovative, integrative, and user friendly.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Full range of development including new features, bug fixes, refactoring, optimization, and testing.
- Work on a fast-paced and dynamic scrum team following Agile design framework (sprints, stand-ups, time estimation, work breakdown).
- Utilize experience and research to implement best-practices, determine appropriate technologies and design patterns, and identify/mitigate risks
- Contribute to our product’s continuous improvement by building great solutions and engaging in code reviews and technical discussions with entire development team.
- Investigate critical customer support issues and propose creative solutions.
- Work closely with all team members (including software, firmware, QA, customer service, and marketing).
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience developing enterprise software
- Experience with Java/J2EE or C++
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future.
- Experience translating business requirements into technical design.
- Understanding of typical software architectures, object oriented programming, and best practices for software development.
- Experience with standard development tools and libraries preferred (Eclipse, Subversion or Git, SQL Server, Oracle, Spring, Tomcat, Jenkins, JIRA, Fisheye/Crucible, vSphere).
- Ability to communicate with multiple groups including marketing, product management, and quality.
- Knowledge and implementation experience on energy or industrial automation solutions a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as planning and organizational skills.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time