Eaton’s Vehicle Technology and Innovation team is currently seeking a Test and Prototype Manager to join our team. This position is based at our Southfield, Michigan facility.
Eaton’s Vehicle Technology and Innovation team is an organization whose mission is to deliver profitable growth by developing new technology for passenger car and commercial vehicle markets worldwide.
The Test and Prototype Manager is responsible for managing a team and associated resources to lead powertrain test system design, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting to develop products for vehicle fuel saving initiatives; design, troubleshoot, and operate test fixtures for the purpose of evaluating theories or testing of products; contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Engineering Imperatives by maintaining a high level of involvement, motivation, and keeping abreast of current technical challenges.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Manage a team of mechanical and electrical technicians as well as design resources.
- Develop and direct the implementation of innovative ideas to test equipment technology for vehicle system and subsystems.
- Oversee the installation of prototype systems into development vehicles and dynamometers.
- Guide engine and vehicle emission tests, test instrumentation and setup
- Provide technical advice and direction in the design, fabrication and instrumentation of test fixtures
- Lead and manage groups capital expenditure request and business case for new equipment
- Select test methods and use of special equipment
- Define timelines for deliverables and communicate status on periodic basis to internal customers
- Identify required resources to support equipment development activities
- Collaborate with leadership team to develop short and long term strategic operating plans
- Oversee and enforce laboratory safety and ensures that the laboratory remains in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Maintain calibration of test equipment
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a testing environment
- Supervision or Managerial experience is required
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- No relocation is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of the Southfield, MI. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Experience with dynamometers, data acquisition, test instrumentation and setup
- Vehicle based testing experience (commercial and passenger car on vehicle testing)
- Deep understanding of electrical and mechanical dynamometer systems to test electric motors, engines, and power electronics
- Experience with software tools and programming environments (Matlab, CANape, iTest)
- Knowledge of powertrain and powertrain systems
- Engine combustion process and analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH VTI Engrg Vehicle Technology and Innovation
Job Level: Team Leader/Supervisor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time