Eaton’s Electrical Automation Solutions, Electrical Sector- Americas has an opening for an Engineer – R&D to join our team. This position will be located in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville Quebec.
Reporting to the Manager, Power Systems Engineering, this role is for an Engineer – R&D working in engineering development of products and solutions in the business unit CYME International T&D. Responsibilities of the Engineer – R&D include research and development (R&D), design, prototyping, validation and documentation of new features of the CYME software. This position will be oriented towards engineering in cable ampacity calculations (CYMCAP).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
About Energy Automation Solutions Division:
The Energy Automation Solutions division delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability solutions that includes self-healing grid, communicating sensors, substation automation, system planning, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency in support of grid modernization. The EAS business primarily serves global utility customers and, in some markets, commercial industrial, and renewable energy markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, and its market recognized Yukon and CYME Software Platforms. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
In this function you will:
- Executes new product development tasks in cable ampacity analysis
- Participates in development projects in all power systems engineering development phases: specification analysis, research and development, design, support of software development team during implementation, testing and documentation for CYME analyses software
- Provides 2nd level of technical support for CYME software users
- Supports software developers and quality assurance team during the development cycle
- Provides power system expertise team in projects and studies
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- University degree in electrical engineering, physics engineering, mathematics, physics or an equivalent from accredited institution
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a relevant role
- Fluency in English or French
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada without company sponsorship.
- Relocation is not being offered for this position. Candidates must reside within a 80km-radius of Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, Quebec.
- University graduate degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D)
Knowledge in cable ampacity software (e.g. CYMCAP)
Knowledge in mathematics: linear algebra, numerical calculations and finite elements methods
Knowledge in finite elements method software (e.g. COMSOL)
Knowledge in programming: procedural and object-oriented
Knowledge in programming language: Python
Knowledge in cable ampacity standards (e.g. IEC 60287)
Thinks and acts strategically in new product development
Demonstrates problem solving skills
Demonstrates innovation capabilities
Proactive and demonstrates initiative
Strong communication and interpersonal relationships skills
Demonstrates leadership skills: ethics, passion, accountability, efficiency, transparency and learning
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – Canada
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time