Join Eaton’s Information Technology team and help positively impact our business through leading technologies, exciting and challenging enterprise projects and new platforms. We are currently seeking an IT Platform Support Specialist for our Infrastructure Center of Excellence (INFCOE) team. The Platform Support Specialist will provide operational support of Eaton’s Enterprise Platform Compute Infrastructure. This role provides unsupervised follow the sun break/fix support of solutions, partners with Engineering to create and update hardware, operating system, configuration and design standards for Unix/Windows servers, the hardware that supports the servers and the storage/virtualization technologies utilized in the Eaton infrastructure globally. This position is based at our Eaton Center in Beachwood, Ohio; no relocation is being offered. If the candidate resides within 50 miles of Beachwood, Ohio, the candidate must work at that site. If the candidate resides more than 50 miles away from Beachwood, Ohio, the candidate will work remote from another US Eaton Facility or an approved home office.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours. In this role as a Platform Support Specialist you will:
- Consistently utilize key ITIL processes to solve complex cross platform infrastructure issues with in-depth troubleshooting approach and provide most feasible options and recommend best solutions to specified problems including RCA.
- Provide operational support for all types of infrastructure issues, service requests and change control while working with various support teams to ensure issues are resolved in a timely manner and drive continuous improvements on tools, processes and operational/performance metrices.
- Act as a focal point for organizing a technical team, driving resolution, communicating status and escalating to customers, suppliers and IT management as necessary during critical, high impact incidents.
- Drive high availability, security and performance efficiency by maintaining current versions, patches, firmware releases and vendor suggested improvements as needed and participate in system upgrade activities.
- Generate clear and concise documentation in the form of Knowledge Base (KB), process documents, FAQ, technical tips etc. Also establish processes and documentation for End Users, Service Desk and other support groups as needed.
- Serve as a consultative resource for technologies while participating in POC along with Engineering team and vendor and make the team aware about potential new technology pipelines.
- Perform integration activities related to cloud, business acquisitions and divestitures as needed.
- Lead negotiations of regional or enterprise scale vendor contracts (SOW), agreements and RFP.
- Provide mentorship to members across the organization and conduct technical and process trainings for cross functional teams.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent from an accredited institution is required.
- Minimum 5 years of IT experience.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert
- VMWare VCAP certification
- ITIL intermediate certification
- Experience troubleshooting and configuring Veritas and Windows clusters
- Citrix administration experience
- Ability to design, test, configure and deploy OS upgrades
- Advanced solution design capability
- Advanced project management skills
- Ability to design system upgrade activities.
- Experience performing system tuning and performance enhancements
- Engineering knowledge of multi-vendor blade and virtualization technologies, multi-vendor backup solutions, multi-vendor server class hardware and operating systems.
- Engineering knowledge of EMC storage solutions
- Knowledge of converged and hyper-converged infrastructure solutions (EMC VxRail and VxRack preferred)
- EMC Avamar and Veritas NetBackup knowledge
- Experience in engineering IPv4 and IPv6 IP addressing and protocols
- Work hours to follow eastern time zone business hours
- On call required for follow-the-sun support model
- ITAR on call with 1 other colleague
- Weekly on call during working hours
- Weekend rotation on call every 4-6 weeks
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Information Technology
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time