Lead Mechanical Design Engineer- eMobility
Our eMobility segment is currently seeking a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer to join our dynamic, entrepreneurial Mobile Wireless team, located in Port Coquitlam, BC.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all of our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
The Lead Mechanical Design Engineer will conceptualize, manage the design, development, testing, technical documentation, and launch of new products and extensions to existing product lines.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will drive and participate in requirements evaluation, design reviews and other team development processes.
- You will ensure Eaton stays abreast of new and emerging technologies and materials and using CAD tools to design and evaluate product integrity in order to facilitate rapid deployment.
- You will generate (when necessary) and manage the product requirement specifications from the Voice of Customer (VOC) inputs.
- You will follow the product specifications, design and develop new and innovative products.
- You will conduct testing of all new products in accordance with Eaton standards and customer requirements.
- You will launch new products following a formal stage-gate process.
- You will investigate and evaluate new materials and their appropriate use within the product lines.
- You will review and conduct computer-based FEA & FMEA analysis on new products to ensure their integrity and use the results to modify designs.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in product development with at least one year working on design of electronic packaging
- No Sponsorship: Candidate must be legally authorized to work in Canada on an ongoing basis without company sponsorship at any point
- No relocation. Candidates must currently reside within an 80 km radius of the Port Coquitlam, BC site.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Ability to utilize specialized techniques for development to launch process improvements including development stage gate processes and Design for Six Sigma tools
- High level understanding of packaging and mounting issues and establishing design rules
- Experience in injection molded plastics design with sealings to IP6X ratings and integration of inserts
- Experience with a variety of user interfaces; i.e. switches, buttons, membrane switches, displays, LED light pipes, etc.
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Experience packaging Printed Circuit Boards
- Experience within automotive and truck markets and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing
- Experience with mechanical design analysis using Solid Works Simulation, ANSYS, MasterCAM etc.
- Experience with DFx practices: Manufacturing, Test, Repair, Quality.
- Ability to travel up to 10% internationally and domestically
- Desire to mentor other, as well as be a project lead
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – Canada
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time