Eaton’s Industrial Controls division is currently seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Menomonee Falls, WI facility.
Eaton Corporation’s Industrial Controls Division (ICD) has an opening for a Lead Software Engineer, located in Menomonee Falls, WI. This position will reside in the divisional headquarters building, which houses engineering for multiple product lines as well as marketing, sales, finance, and R&D. The facility was built in 2012 and boasts an open office layout surrounded by large windows, as well as 50,000+ square feet of onsite state-of-the-art laboratory space, fitness center, basketball court, quiet/nursing rooms, ping-pong, employee lounge, and grill & patio. Additionally, Eaton encourages employee development and health through tuition reimbursement and fitness club reimbursement. With eight Eaton facilities and more than 1600 employees located in Southeastern Wisconsin, Eaton’s local footprint enables our employees with state of the art laboratories and access to manufacturing, all while providing ample opportunities for development and career growth within region.
The Lead Software Engineer will be responsible for the architecture, development, testing, and deployment of Internet of Things, Web and Mobile solutions for ICD. Primary products are related to variable frequency drives, reduced voltage starting, motor protection and sensing. The candidate will create industry leading user experience for the users of these products, that adds value by leveraging Eaton’s IoT infrastructure. The candidate will work within a software/firmware center of excellence together with other team members driving new product and process development while leveraging state of the art tools. Responsibilities will center on software development, but will also require leadership capability from project inception through the full development cycle to release for sale. The candidate must possess a mind-set focused on innovation combined with design experience and the ability to drive all software related aspects of a project to a successful completion.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will establish and document new product requirements by collaborating with marketing, other technical personnel and customers. Work with your team and others, contributing to the architecture, design, and implementation of an Internet of Things, mobile and web platforms. –
- You will development will be primarily in C#, Java/Scala, Azure, and Python.
- You will author high-quality, highly-performant, unit-tested code. Demonstrate and document solutions by using flowcharts, diagrams, code comments, code snippets, and performance instruments.
- You will provide work estimates and participate in design, implementation, and code reviews.
- You will develop and execute agile work plans for iterative and incremental project delivery.
- You will maintain job knowledge by studying software development techniques and programming languages. Participate in educational opportunities and read professional publications.
- You will work with test teams to ensure adequate and appropriate test case coverage; investigate and fix bugs; create automated test scripts.
- You will work directly with stakeholders, engineering, and test to create high quality products and solve end-user problems.
- You will establish project and product cost estimates and time estimates.
- You will collaborate within the software/firmware team to drive process improvements and firmware sharing and re-use.
- You will collaborate with global software/firmware teams to accelerate the development cycle while reducing the cost to develop and maintain products.
- You will coordinate and communicate with other disciplines to ensure project success. Other disciplines include Marketing, Industrialization, Test Engineering, Designers, and Technicians.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in developing and designing software applications/solutions
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in C# and/or Java and associated IDE’s (Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience developing enterprise grade, highly scalable web-based applications and/or distributed systems
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience designing and implementing back end architecture including REST web services
- Minimum of 2 years designing and developing cloud based applications/solutions
- Expert knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems and their associated development platforms
- Solid understanding of software design principles, algorithms, data structures, and multithreading concepts
- Thorough understanding
of object oriented design and programming skills, including the use of design
Solid understanding of networking protocols and concepts (websockets, http, tcp, mqtt, amqp)
- Solid understanding of
network and distributed computing concepts
Working knowledge of one other programming language (Java, C#, C++ or Python)
- Thorough understanding of relational and non-relational database systems
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Extensive experience utilizing best practices in software engineeringExtensive experience with Agile development methodologies and conceptsAbility to apply automation to tasks that require them
- Knowledge of CI/CD concepts, tools, and technologies (Bamboo or CircleCI)
- Knowledge of cloud development platforms such as Azure or AWSExperience with source code management using Bitbucket or Github
- Knowledge of security concepts such as encryption, certificates, and key management
- Strong problem solving and software debugging skills
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively explain technical concepts
- Abreast of upcoming software development/engineering tools, trends, and methodologies
- Good judgment, time management, and decision-making skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with more senior (Lead, Specialist, Chief) engineers in area of their specific expertise.
- Ability to work with remote design centers to leverage resources.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD ICD Industrial Controls Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time