Eaton’s Electrical Sector is currently seeking a Lead Power Electronics Control Engineer to join our team! This position is based at our Raleigh, NC facility.
Eaton is seeking a Lead Power Electronics Control Engineer for the Power Electronics (PE) Center of Excellence (CoE). Eaton’s PE CoE accelerates the company’s growth through the development of power electronics platforms and building blocks that are scalable, cost-effective, and manufacturable as well as standardized design methodologies that can be adopted by multiple businesses (e.g. UPS, LV/MV Drives, Energy storage, etc.), which provides a foundation for our business to more rapidly develop innovative products.
This individual will be responsible for control development, implementation, and validation for a wide spectrum of power conversion and protection products. This individual will be also responsible for driving the use and adoption of model based technique during the NPI process. This includes the use of Model in the Loop (MIL) and Hardware in the Loop (HIL) methodologies during the design and validation on new products within the Eaton’s product portfolio.
This individual will be a key member of the PE CoE and will report to the PE CoE Raleigh team manager.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Develop control and protection algorithms and firmware for electric motors and power converters
- Perform modeling and simulation for the electric motors and power converters control development
- Implement, test, and troubleshoot control firmware
- Establish system & sub-system level control requirements from functional specifications and application needs
- Plan and perform control algorithms and firmware development and validation on HIL and lab
- Create technical reports and presentations
- Initiate and lead design reviews and technical discussions including brainstorming
- Stay current with the latest technologies trends and applies knowledge to the development of control firmware for electric motors and power converters.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Computer Science from an accredited institution AND a minimum of 6 years of engineering experience in the control algorithm development and implementation for electric motors and/or power converters
- OR Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Computer Science from an accredited institution AND a minimum of 4 years of engineering experience in the control algorithm development and implementation for electric motors and/or power converters
- OR PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Computer Science from an accredited institution.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering
- Experience in developing and implementing electric motor and power converter control with auto-code generation tools (e.g. Simulink Coder)
- Experience working in diverse cultural situations with global customers and team members
- Strong background in digital control and electric motor / power converter control techniques such as d-q transformation and P & Q control
- Experience with embedded software structuring and C/C++ programming
- Knowledge of real-time operating systems and digital signal processing
- Experience with DSP, FPGA, or microcontrollers, and standard peripheral components
- Familiarity with development tools such as compilers and debuggers
- Ability to learn new skills, technical knowledge, products, or industry
- Strong written communication and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and goal oriented individual.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative orientation, the ability to succeed in a highly team oriented, global, and diverse environment.
- Consistently acts in an ethical, open, honest, trustworthy and truthful manner.
- Desire for innovation, new product development, program management … to make what matters work!
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering processes
- Knowledge of power electronics hardware
- Working knowledge of HIL HW and SW
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Electrical Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time