Our eMobility Division is currently seeking a Lead Electrical Engineer to join our dynamic, New Product Development team. This position is located in Southfield, MI
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
The Lead Electrical Engineer will lead the design and development of new power electronic and circuit protection technologies for the automotive and commercial vehicle market. The products include but not limited to DC converters, Inverters (motor drives), On-board chargers, power distribution, and circuit protection devices. This position will develop design proposals to meet customer requirements and engineering solutions throughout the design cycle from concept to production. This position takes ownership of building solutions by working with and providing guidance to cross-function, global teams and collaborating across the organization.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will guide the development and generation of product requirements specification based on Voice of Customer (VOC) inputs
- You will employ appropriate DFSS tools, perform product-level definition and examination during developments
- You will complete and review appropriate technical documentation, for example circuit design documents, schematics, documented analysis, BOMs, DFMEAs, theory of operations, etc.
- You will provide supervision and support to internal and external design resources when appropriate (e.g. PCB layout, other engineers, software development, test laboratories)
- You will develop test strategies and plans for both design validation and production test in accordance with industry standards and customer requirements and investigate and review new components and technologies, and evaluate their appropriate use within our product lines
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in new product development in electrical and electromechanical systems
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, no or in the future.
- No relocation is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of Southfield, MI
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Master’s degree with a research focus in electromechanical or electrical systems
- Experience with electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems a plus
- Experience developing power electronics
- Experience designing and developing electric motor drive and control systems, DC, 3-phase AC, PM, SR, FW motors
- Experience with model-based design methods
- Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (CAN J1939, J1587, J1708, LIN).
- Microchip, Atmel, ST, TI microprocessor families procedures and reports)
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Automotive or commercial vehicle experience
- Supervising other engineering tasks (assembly drawings, PCB layout, software development, validation testing)
- Creating and maintaining electronic documentation for manufacturing and engineering teams.
- Planning and scheduling development testing (scheduling test labs, designing test equipment, designing and building test harnesses, creating test strategies for both validation and production testing, writing
- Designing test and programming fixtures.
- Electronic design tools: schematic capture, circuit and behavioral simulation (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys, Matlab/Simulink) PCB layout and design
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time