Senior Engineer – Intellectual Property
Job Title: Senior Engineer – Intellectual Property #071393
If you desire to be part of something special, to be part of a winning team, to be part of a fun team - winning is fun.
We are looking forward to a Senior Engineer – Intellectual Property in Eaton India Innovation Center’s (EIIC), based in Pune, India.
In Eaton, making our work exciting, engaging, meaningful; ensuring safety, health, wellness; and being a model of inclusion & diversity are already embedded in who we are - it’s in our values, part of our vision, and our clearly defined aspirational goals.
This exciting role is part of Eaton India Innovation Center (EIIC) within Eaton Research Labs (ERL). Eaton is a power management company with 2018 sales of $21.6 billion. Its energy-efficient solutions help customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more reliably, safely and sustainably. The company is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton employs 99,000 people worldwide and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com.
Eaton entered India in 1999 through the global acquisition of Aeroquip Vickers. India today forms a key part of Eaton’s overall business strategy with continued expansion of the company’s manufacturing, marketing, engineering and services footprint in the country over the last two decades. With 5500+ employees, 7 manufacturing sites, presence in 18 key locations, two decades of proven capabilities and customer engagements, Eaton is uniquely positioned to play a distinct part in India’s ongoing growth story. Eaton’s India Professional Services Center’s spectrum of capabilities from a single integrated facility in Pune is enabling Eaton globally to innovate, continuously enhance efficiencies, make effective decisions, strengthen customer focus and create value and competitive advantage by engaging diverse skill-sets of over 2000 employees. The Eaton India Innovation Center in Pune, with its 1500+ strong engineering workforce is driving cutting-edge R&D projects for all of Eaton’s global businesses. Eaton has recently broken ground in Bangalore to build its first Aerospace manufacturing facility in India.
Eaton Research Labs (ERL) focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
The incumbent is responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing IP practices across one or more Eaton businesses. S/he is expected to provide technology and product insights and recommendations to enable IP creation, protection and commercialization for Research, Development and Engineering portfolio of Eaton.
The incumbent is expected to,
- Demonstrate ability to analyze large amount of data, connect multiple data sources and generate actionable insights for progression of the technology and IP creation.
- Contribute in creation of new work packages, coordinating from concept to implementation stage, managing deliverables executed by multi-disciplinary teams.
- Support other team members and engineering community by understanding state of art, highlighting whitespace for solution development, IP creation, protection and mitigation of infringement risks
Your essential responsibilities:
- Conduct various prior art searches (Landscapes, Competitor Watch, Patentability, Freedom-to-Operate, Patent Validity/Invalidity assessment) using open and specialized patent and literature databases and contribute to identify possible whitespace to block the competitors.
- Ability to read patents and literatures and communicate complex technologies/ concepts in an easy-to-understand format to business and stakeholder to drive decisions.
- Technically sound to quickly understand technologies related to the components and systems involved in Aerospace / Automotive domain.
- Interface with cross-functional Engineering across Eaton's business units to gather technical information related to an invention disclosure and assist legal teams in assessing the patentability of the inventions.
- Working knowledge in creating Competitive and Technology intelligence reports which includes technology, market and IP perspectives.
- Stay abreast of product, emerging technologies, patent laws and intellectual property management processes.
- Ensure accuracy and quality of deliverables while coordinating with integrated project teams.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team and promotes a learning culture
- Deploy existing processes and bring change in a collaborative and constructive manner for continuous improvement.
Possess strong report and technical writing skills. He/she should be a good communicator and should be able to drive results working in multi-disciplinary teams
If you are:
Bachelaor’s or Master’s Degree in Mechanical / Aerospace / Automotive / Mechatronics equivalent technical field from accredited institutions with specialization/experience in Intellectual property
5+ years of experience working in-house or with law firms on the various facets of IP, including searching, analytics, intelligence, strategic reports, training and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
Demonstrated excellence in theoretical and applied methods of IP and significant experience with establishing the Innovation and IP practices in an organization from idea mining, idea protection to patent filing and maintenance.
Develop and provide additional capabilities to improve the effectiveness and quality of patent search and analytics.
Knowledge of tools and databases that can be used to improve the effectiveness and delivery of the work products
Yes! Because you are the one we are looking for, we hope to hear from you now!
*We make what matters work.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day.
It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential - and where you can help us reach ours. Need more about Eaton? Come on in @ www.eaton.com.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: INNOV Innovation Center
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time