Eaton’s Fuel and Motion Control Systems division, a part of our Aerospace group, is currently seeking a Lead Motor Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Motor Center of Excellence in Grand Rapids, MI.
The Lead Motor Engineer reports to the Electrical Engineering Manager, primarily supporting development of motors for electromechanical actuators and fuel and hydraulic pumps. In this role, you will participate in motor topology selection and perform the electromagnetic design of motors for aerospace motors.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will create architecture for new programs, including AC induction and Brushless DC motor types
- You will participate in new product development teams to provide motor expertise in architecture trade off studies
- You will assist in and provide recommendations for motor types and motor sizing with collaboration from product team and electronic motor controller team
- You will spearhead electromagnetic design of Brushless DC and/or AC induction motors using magnetic modeling tools
- You will develop and manage requirements and compliance for motors
- You will assist in motor packaging and mechanical design with mechanical engineering and drafting resources
- You will recommend development testing for motors, write development test procedures and reports, support the test engineering group for performing the testing
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in motor design
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now and in the future.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Experience in the magnetic design of brushless DC motors
- Knowledge of brushed DC and induction motors is highly desirable
- Understanding of magnetic modeling tools (lumped parameters and Electromagnetic FE) for motor performance (e.g. Ansys RMxprt and Maxwell 2D & 3D, Speed, etc).
- Understanding of motor manufacturing methods and processes
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and web based information and documentation systems
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, engineers, customers or the general public.
Ability to define problems, analyze data and draw valid conclusions that result in solid recommendations.
Ability to demonstrate a high level of energy and personal drive.
Ability to demonstrate strong project management and organization skills.
Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence and technical documents.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER HQ SLS
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time