Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Services & Systems division is currently seeking a Utility Lead Protection & Control Commissioning Engineer. This position has open geography and can be based anywhere in the United States. Please note: this position does require up to 100% travel.
Eaton’s Engineering Service & Systems division wants to help you fuel your career! Eaton has the largest and most experienced team of field services technicians and engineers in the industry. This team brings extensive skills and experiences to field service engineering. Active participation in recognized technical societies such as NFPA and IEEE and collaboration with a variety of utilities and industries ensures that our technicians are knowledgeable about today’s cutting-edge technology and engineering techniques. We assist customers at every stage of the power system: offering start-up and commissioning of equipment, performing planned maintenance, monitoring performance, diagnosing system problems remotely, as well as responding to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Our support services help businesses make the most of their existing electrical equipment by optimizing performance and extending the life of existing facilities.
The Power Distribution Systems organization offers career opportunities at a variety of levels representing increased scope and responsibility within the organization. The Utility Lead P&C Commissioning Engineer will be responsible for commissioning transmission and distribution substation additions or modifications and ensuring they are installed, function, and energized correctly.
The Utility Lead P&C Commissioning Engineer is responsible for the coordination of all Apparatus and Relay Testing Activities, Functional Test Activities and Documentation of As-Left/As-Built Station Status (Station Prints and As-Left Relay Settings). Responsibilities include Development of On-Site equipment / Relay Work Orders, Isolation (Cut-Over) Plans, Functional Test Plans, Document Control, CIP Equipment Lists, Bar-Coding, Final Document Uploads (Project Wise), Completion of Project Binder, Equipment Energization lists, Equipment Energization Notifications, and Unintended Incident notification. The Utility Lead P&C Commissioning Engineer serves as a safety net to ensure that any errors introduced by incorrectly engineer design packages or installation are identified and corrected prior to compromising the safety of employees and/or reliability of the T&D System.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Must be able to read engineering drawings and specification to understand the purpose and functionality of the substation. Must understand various protection schemes for proper checkout techniques and/or for troubleshooting and correcting non-working schemes.
- Provide commissioning oversight of substation installations. Including the development of check-out guides, review and approval of test results, development of equipment energization plans to minimize system risk and final technical approval of equipment prior to release to transmission operations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply engineering skills and operational knowledge in the identification and resolution of technical problems in the field during the installation phase and testing phase
- Develop on-site Coordination of Equipment / Relay Info Orders, Work Plans, Isolation (Cut-Over) plans, Functional Test Plans, Cascade Documents, CIP Equipment lists, Bar-Coding, Final documentation uploads (Project Wise), Complete Project Binder, Equipment Energization lists, Equipment Energization Notifications, and Unintended Incident notifications
- Identify and resolve design errors.
- Provide administrative and technical support of field related substation testing and commissioning activities. Plan, perform, coordinate, and supervise on-site testing and commissioning activities (pre-commissioning, field testing, demonstration testing, energization, and post-energization) as required by project scope.
- Provides field engineering support to the electricians in the wiring of the substation protective relaying and control system, verifying the wiring is full complete per the design drawings.
- A Commissioning Engineer / Start-Up Coordinator is expected to support several capital projects occurring at the same time. Accordingly, they rotate amongst the jobs, keeping abreast of the construction activities, reviewing test results and monitoring the work to anticipate any problems and gauge their level of involvement from a technical support perspective.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering or engineering technology from an accredited institution
- Minimum 7 years of relevant substation field engineering experience
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Candidates must reside anywhere within the continental U.S.
- 10+ years of relevant substation field engineering experience
- Level 3/4 NETA or NICET Certified
- Professional Engineering License
- Demonstrated relevant experience in substation field engineering services and technical support for the construction, testing, and commissioning of substation equipment up to and including 500kV
- Must include but is not limited to; Protective Relays, Relay Panels, AC/DC Panels, Battery Systems, Breakers, Transformers, SSVTs, CCVTs, PTs, CTs, Linear Couples, etc. Including the development of isolation plans and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability in communicating technical information to non-technical personnel, educating customers, and presenting information to internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of all software packages relevant to successful performance of tasks.
- Relay Test Software - Enoserve (RTS) and Doble Protection Suite
- Relay Communication Software – SEL Compass, AcSELerator Quickset (SEL 5030), GE (Enervista Launchpad), RFL (GARD PRO), and other common industry software
- Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with electrical and electronic equipment.
- Has demonstrated ability to provide service and represent company interests in developing customer relationships to assure long-term customer satisfaction.
- Willingness and aptitude for training and mentoring technicians and other members of technical engineering team.
- Submit to periodic customer required background and drug screenings.
- Extended hours / extended days in a row, may be required during commissioning activities
- Possess and Maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time