Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Services & Systems division is currently seeking a Utility Protection & Control (P&C) Technician. This position has open geography and can be based anywhere in the United States. This position does require up to 100% travel.
Eaton’s Engineering Service & Systems division wants to help you fuel your career! Eaton has the largest and most experienced team of field services technicians and engineers in the industry. This team brings extensive skills and experiences to field service engineering. Active participation in recognized technical societies such as NFPA and IEEE and collaboration with a variety of utilities and industries ensures that our technicians are knowledgeable about today’s cutting-edge technology and engineering techniques. We assist customers at every stage of the power system: offering start-up and commissioning of equipment, performing planned maintenance, monitoring performance, diagnosing system problems remotely, as well as responding to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Our support services help businesses make the most of their existing electrical equipment by optimizing performance and extending the life of existing facilities.
The Power Distribution Systems organization offers career opportunities at a variety of levels representing increased scope and responsibility within the organization. The Utility Protection & Control (P&C) Technician will be responsible for assisting the Utility Lead P&C Commissioning Engineer in overall technical oversight and documentation requirements including but not limited to work plans, isolation plans, and functional test plans. This role will be actively involved (hands-on) during complete testing & final checkout. The Utility P&C Technician will work with the Utility Lead P&C Commissioning Engineer and serve as a safety net to ensure that any errors introduced by incorrectly engineered design packages or installation are identified and corrected prior to compromising the safety of employees and /or the reliability of the T&D system.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Must be able to read drawings and understand various protection schemes and proper checkout techniques and/or for the troubleshooting and correcting of non-working schemes.
- Responsible for performing testing and commissioning activities on reliability upgrades in Energized “Brownfield” Transmission Stations.
- Responsible for working around energized “In-Service” electrical equipment
- Capable of developing Isolation Plans & Procedures for the removal of existing equipment such as; Protective Relays, Relay Panels, AC/DC Panels, Battery Systems, Breakers, transformers, SSVTs, CCVTs, PTs, CTs, Linear Couplers, etc.
- Knowledgeable with all aspects of the testing & operation of various protective relays and power meters, including all device types: microprocessor-based, solid state, and electro-mechanical.
- Assist with all aspects of testing of substation devices and equipment, including (without limitation): reading / verifying all voltage and current inputs to relays and metering, trip testing, functional verification of all control systems, verification of all devices and equipment alarms, and other similar testing.
- Experience with Relay Testing Software such as Enoserve (RTS) and Doble Protection Suite
- Experience with Relay Communication Software such as SEL Compass, AcSELerator Quickset (SEL-5030), GE (Enervista Launchpad), RFL (Gard PRO), and other common industry software.
- Ability to identify and resolve design errors.
- Directly witness or perform critical tests such as DC Functional Trip Testing prior to energization and in-service
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Associates degree from an accredited institution and/or military experience required.
- Minimum 2 years of substation and/or relay experience
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- No relocation is provided. Candidates must reside within the United States to be considered
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an accredited institution
- 4+ years of experience in Utility Substation electrical testing experience.
- Level 3/4 NETA or NICET Certified.
- Power distribution field experience in servicing, maintaining, and testing electrical power distribution equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in communicating technical information to non-technical personnel, educating customers, and presenting information to internal and external customers.
- Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with electrical and electronic equipment.
- Ability to provide technical instructions, mentoring, and guidance regarding substation and electrical power systems to field personnel.
- Submit to periodic customer required background and drug screenings.
- Extended hours / extended days in a row, may be required during commissioning activities
- Possess and Maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license
- Must be willing to travel up to 100% of the time
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time