Eaton Corporation’s Electrical Sector (Lighting Division) is seeking a Director of Trade Compliance to join our team. This role is based in our Peachtree City, GA location.
Reporting to our VP Operations, the Director of Trade Compliance is responsible to ensure that the Lighting Business and all associated locations are in full compliance with the import and export laws of the countries where we do business, in a manner that is consistent with our values. Compliance with trade regulations will be achieved through a centralized framework including classification, certification, verification of import/export activities, and training of local staff. You will proactively work with the Global Logistics Director and the Transportation teams to minimize risk and ensure efficient and effective processes for import/export transactions. You will primarily support import/export transactions for the following locations: US, Mexico, Canada, China, and the EU. You will execute as key global resource to all Lighting locations in providing functional knowledge, support, and solutions for the integrity of global operations and quality resolution of import/export issues throughout regional locations and clients.
Design, implement and manage a robust trade compliance program for the Lighting Business including the ongoing development and maintenance of procedures which define responsibility and accountability for completion of activities and supporting operational processes.
Monitor and manage US customs while minimizing overall risks and costs related to import and export regulations, tariff numbers, tooling/supplier assists, and similar regulations.
Develop and maintain country specific import/export matrices to include classifications, license requirements and shipment restrictions.
Represent the Lighting Business in dealings with customers, suppliers, plants, as well as government agencies in response to general inquiries on shipments or licenses.
Conduct periodic internal and external compliance assessments of facilities to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and compliance of all activities and transactions with the appropriate import/export laws and recordkeeping.
Coordinate with Management on issues, opportunities, recommended solutions and cost savings.
Establishes and direct metrics, processes, feedback loops and action plans to deal with process improvements and law changes to insure compliance.
Remain current on regulatory/industry activities that impact the company's business,
Manage North American FTA qualification program, including NAFTA/USMCA compliance and audits. Ensure Duty Drawback program is managed effectively and compliantly.
Develop and deliver an ongoing, tailored training program that includes but is not limited to, export control and technology, Corporate Trade Standards, general awareness, risk identification, and escalation.
Conduct and/or oversee training as necessary to ensure organizational understanding of policies, procedures and regulatory requirements for Customs and Trade Compliance
- Minimum of five (7) years of import / export experience (global activities)
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a continuous basis without sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Ability to develop and write clear and concise processes and procedures;
- Self-starter with strong research skills who can develop effective networks with internal and external customers;
- Ability to integrate effective compliance requirements within ongoing business processes
- Experience conducting formal training and presentations with an ability to effectively communicate legal and procedural requirements;
- Demonstrated sensitivity to various cultures and ideally multi-lingual;
- Successful candidate will thrive in working in a small team with limited supervision, hands on designing and building compliance modules to implement globally; and
- Solid computer skills: MS Office Suite and experience with Microsoft Access is a plus
- 10 years of import/export compliance experience with international responsibilities, effectively driving operations, and managing compliance and cost savings in a multi-plant/manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 4 years supervisory experience
- National Customs Brokers Association (NCBA) certification as a Licensed Customer Broker.
- Experience in one or more Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (Oracle, SAP, or JD Edwards)
- Strong knowledge and working understanding of international trade rules and regulations, including customs and export compliance, process control, internal and external audits: classification, valuation, Incoterms, origin, reconciliation, drawback, other OGA's;
- Experience working with or managing Certified Maquila's, IMMEX;
- Successful experience in building and integrating import and export compliance into business operation
- Experience managing a Denied Party Screening (DPS) program;
- Strong fluency in one or more foreign languages (both verbal and written) preferred;
- Experience functioning within a strong matrix environment of a global enterprise highly preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency of NAFTA, HTS, and ECCN classification rules; and;
- Evidenced self-development of further trade compliance training, courses, seminars
An undergraduate degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Supply Chain / Logistics
Region: Latin America
Organization: EPG LD Lighting Division
Job Level: Director
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time